After winning Saturday evening’s game 9-4, the Philadelphia Phillies have managed to keep their postseason dreams in play. In order for those dreams not to vanish, a win Sunday is crucial, if not required.
The Phillies will rely on Vince Velasquez to lead them to victory. Velasquez is coming off a start where he allowed two runs in five innings against the Atlanta Braves, with eight strikeouts. The Phillies would love to see that same type of stat line or better against Cleveland on a national stage
The Phillies offense has also gotten some offense in unlikely places. Brad Miller, who gets the start again tonight, had two home runs last night against his former ballclub. Of course, Bryce Harper is also a player to watch. The outfielder homered Saturday night, his second in the last four games. If the offense is to have another high-scoring game, Harper will need to come through.
The Phillies know that this is do-or-die, as they currently sit 5.5 games back behind Milwaukee (86-70) for the second Wild Card spot with nine games left to play. Also worth noting; the Phillies are just three wins away from their first winning season since 2011.
Here’s everything you need to know before this evening’s game:
Phillies Starting Lineup
- Cesar Hernandez, second base
- J.T. Realmuto, catcher
- Bryce Harper, right field
- Rhys Hoskins, first base
- Jay Bruce, designated hitter
- Jean Segura, shortstop
- Brad Miller, left field
- Scott Kingery, third base
- Adam Haseley, center field
Indians Starting Lineup
- Francisco Lindor, shortstop
- Oscar Mercado, center field
- Carlos Santana, first base
- Yasiel Puig, right field
- Mike Freeman, second base
- Franmil Reyes, designated hitter
- Greg Allen, left field
- Roberto Perez, catcher
- Ryan Flaherty, third base
Shibe Vintage Sports Pitching Matchup
- Vince Velasquez (7–7, 4.89 ERA) vs. Adam Plutko (7–4, 4.34 ERA)
- Velasquez has previously faced the Indians twice. In those two games, he is 1-1 with a 1.46 ERA (12.1 innings),11 strikeouts and six walks. Meanwhile, this will be Plutko’s first-ever game against Philadelphia.
Pregame Phillies Nuggets
- Former Phillies first baseman Carlos Santana has had success against Philadelphia this series. In seven at-bats, Santana has three hits and two RBIs, as well as a walk.
- In his first four career games against the Indians, Harper is hitting just .125 (two hits in 16 at-bats). He does, however, have a home run and four RBIs.
- In 17 games against Cleveland, Jean Segura has two home runs and 11 RBIs with a .265 average.
- Progressive Field
- TV: ESPN
- Radio: 1210 WPHT, WTTM 1680
MORE FROM PHILLIES NATION
- Matt Klentak: We Want J.T. Realmuto To Be A Phillie For A ‘Long, Long Time’
- Get Ready To Hear The Phillies Connected To 2 Nationals Quite A Bit
- Alex Cora: Aaron Nola Is The Best Pitcher We’ve Faced The Last Two Seasons
- Matt Klentak Says Scott Kingery’s Versatility Makes Him ‘Incredibly Valuable’
- What Would A Long-Term Deal Look Like For J.T. Realmuto?
- Phillies Reportedly Considered Waiving Maikel Franco Before Season’s End
- Bryce Harper: It Would Be ‘An Absolute Joke’ If J.T. Realmuto Doesn’t Win Gold Glove Award
- Minor League Mash-Up: Howard, Bohm Highlight Regular Season
- Mike Scioscia Reportedly Would Have Interest In Managing Phillies
- Bryce Harper And Wife Kayla Welcome First Child