On Thursday night, former Philadelphia Phillies first baseman Carlos Santana tweeted a response to Jake Arrieta after Arrieta appeared to take a shot at Santana earlier this week:
🧐🧐🧐 night thoughts… pic.twitter.com/6Yt1PrT63l
— Carlos Santana MLB⚾️ (@TheRealSlamtana) October 4, 2019
Santana infamously broke TVs with a baseball bat last September because he thought his teammates were playing too much Fortnite while the Phillies fell out of the playoff picture. In March, Santana told ESPN‘s Jeff Passan that he had smashed the TVs after he felt that players playing Fortnite during games, “[…] weren’t respecting their teammates or coaches or the staff or the [front] office.”
Arrieta responded then, saying that from Santana’s side, “Some things that were not portrayed correctly,” and that no Phillies players had been playing video games during actual games but rather well in advance.
In an article published earlier this week by Matt Breen of the Philadelphia Inquirer, Arrieta was quoted saying of Santana, “Well, the culture was better here this year without him, I can tell you that.”
When asked why, Arrieta responded by saying “Why it was better without Santana? We had better guys in the clubhouse. That’s it. A lot more veteran presences.”
Santana’s response certainly makes it clear that Arrieta was one of the players who caused Santana to go on his TV-smashing rampage. With all of the other rumors swirling surrounding John Middleton’s plans for both Gabe Kapler and the front office, the return of the Santana storyline has been quite a surprise here in the first week of the Phillies offseason. And it probably doesn’t help ease any concerns Middelton has about his franchise.
MORE FROM PHILLIES NATION
- Former Phillie Raul Ibanez Could Be Offseason’s Hottest Managerial Candidate
- Phillies Reportedly Considering Moving Jean Segura To Different Position
- Andrew McCutchen: ‘We’ll Be Better In 2020, Believe It’
- Bryce Harper: We Will Reign Again
- Look For Phillies Player Info Coordinator Sam Fuld To Get Managerial Interviews
- Get Ready To Hear The Phillies Connected To 2 Nationals Quite A Bit
- Matt Klentak Says Scott Kingery’s Versatility Makes Him ‘Incredibly Valuable’
- What Would A Long-Term Deal Look Like For J.T. Realmuto?
- Phillies Would Have Interviewed Buck Showalter If Available In 2017, Per Report
- Tim Kelly’s 2019 IBWAA Awards Ballot