Spring Training is here, but the rumors are still flowing.
According to the Denver Post‘s Patrick Saunders, a slew of rumors connecting the Colorado Rockies and Chicago Cubs on a potential trade involving Kris Bryant may be a way for the Cubs to generate more urgency from the Phillies, among other possible suitors:
Dave Kaplan of ESPN 1000 reported earlier this week that he was told by a Rockies beat writer that the Cubs are “absolutely motivated” to attempt to land Rockies icon Nolan Arenado. One scenario that was reported by ESPN‘s Jesse Rogers would involve a trade of Arenado for Bryant.
Earlier this week, The Athletic‘s Meghan Montemurro detailed why the Phillies were not likely to partner with the Cubs in a Bryant trade, although she noted that the idea had been kicked around between earlier this offseason.
When asked about it on Thursday, Matt Klentak did not indicate that the Phillies were completely against the idea of trading for a player like Bryant:
The Phillies were not considered seriously in on catcher J.T. Realmuto for much of last offseason, but pounced when the price fell to a level they felt was fair. Adding Bryant certainly isn’t likely, but considering the team’s prior approach, it’s not impossible.
Saunders also mentions division rivals Nationals and Braves as players for Bryant. Both teams lost star third basemen this offseason in Anthony Rendon and Josh Donaldson, respectively, and are set for a massive loss in production from the position in 2020. Any three of the teams getting Bryant would likely make them the favorite to win the division.
MORE FROM PHILLIES NATION
- Matt Klentak: It’s Time To Play In October
- 34 Numbers To Remember: Roy Halladay’s Incredible Career
- Joe Girardi Hopes That David Robertson Will Pitch In 2020
- Seranthony Dominguez: ‘I Want To Be Ready For Opening Day’
- First Look: Phillies Road And Cream Jerseys With Nike Swoosh
- Phillies Nation Roundtable: Bold Predictions For 2020
- How Jake Arrieta And Nick Pivetta Can Be Productive In 2020
- Matt Klentak Says Odubel Herrera Will Have To Earn Any Future Opportunities
- The Phillies Path To One Of The Wild Cards Won’t Be Easy Either
- PECOTA Predicts Phillies Will Finish With Losing Record