Even though MLB has since announced a suspension of Spring Training and a delay to the start of the regular season, the Philadelphia Phillies are currently playing the Tampa Bay Rays in the Grapefruit League. In that game, they appear to have avoided a scare.
While Jake Arrieta left his start in the fourth inning, he told Jim Salisbury of NBC Sports Philadelphia that he only left out of precaution after feeling stiffness in his shoulder. On a positive note, Arrieta says that all tests on his shoulder checked out and he doesn’t believe this will linger.
In 3.1 innings Thursday, Arrieta had given up three hits and two runs.
The 34-year-old has struggled with injuries in the first two years of a three-year/$75 million deal. A season ago, Arrieta attempted to pitch through a bone spur in his pitching elbow, but ultimately had to be shut down and have surgery in mid-August. That came after he pitched through a meniscus injury that ultimately required surgery in his first season with the team.
Though he’s no longer the pitcher that was once a World Series hero with the Chicago Cubs, the Phillies expect Arrieta to be the No. 3 starter in Joe Girardi’s staff in 2020, behind Aaron Nola and Zack Wheeler.
Bryce Harper excited a Spring Training game after being hit on the foot on Tuesday, and ended up being fine. However, Seranthony Dominguez suffered a setback in his attempted return from a UCL injury this past Sunday, and the outlook for him looks much less rosy.
MORE FROM PHILLIES NATION
- Phillies Nuggets: Opening Day Lineup Projection 3.0
- Phillies Nation’s Top 20 Philadelphia Phillies Prospects
- Bryce Harper Gives Honest Thoughts On Gabe Kapler
- How Much Room Do The Phillies Have Under The Luxury Tax Threshold?
- Former Phillie Jose Bautista Attempting Comeback As Two-Way Player
- Joe Girardi Says Hector Neris Will Be Closer
- First Look: Power Blue Jerseys With Nike Swoosh
- How Good Could The 2006 Phillies Have Been With The DH?
- Bryce Harper On J.T. Realmuto: ‘We Need Him Here’
- The Phillies Are Sporting New Helmets In 2020