The Philadelphia Phillies 2020 Alumni Weekend will have a very 1980 feel to it.
In addition to celebrating the 40th anniversary of the 1980 Phillies – who became the first team in franchise history to win a World Series – the team announced Saturday that Manny Trillo, the team’s second baseman, will be inducted onto the Wall of Fame during Alumni Weekend as well.
In 1980, Trillo slashed .292/.334/.412 with seven home runs, 43 RBIs and a career-high 3.3 fWAR. He won the National League Silver Slugger Award for second basemen in 1980. Most notably, Trillo was the MVP of the 1980 NLCS, considered one of the greatest playoff series in MLB history, as he hit .381 in the Phillies victory over the Houston Astros.
In total, Trillo played for the Phillies from 1979 to 1982, winning three Gold Glove Awards and making two National League All-Star teams.
Trillo, now 69, will be inducted onto the Wall of Fame before the Phillies tilt with the San Francisco Giants at 4:05 p.m. on Saturday, Aug. 8. The following day, the Phillies will celebrate the 40th anniversary of the 1980 team before playing Gabe Kapler’s Giants at 1:05 p.m.
MORE FROM PHILLIES NATION
- Phillies Nation’s Top 20 Philadelphia Phillies Prospects
- Bryce Harper Gives Honest Thoughts On Gabe Kapler
- How Much Room Do The Phillies Have Under The Luxury Tax Threshold?
- Former Phillie Jose Bautista Attempting Comeback As Two-Way Player
- Joe Girardi Says Hector Neris Will Be Closer
- First Look: Power Blue Jerseys With Nike Swoosh
- How Good Could The 2006 Phillies Have Been With The DH?
- Odubel Herrera: I’m Sorry To The Fans And The Organization
- Bryce Harper On J.T. Realmuto: ‘We Need Him Here’
- The Phillies Are Sporting New Helmets In 2020