Major League Baseball will follow suit with other major professional sports leagues and suspend spring training as of 4 pm ET on Thursday, March 12, 2020, per a report from The Athletic’s Ken Rosenthal. The regular season will also be delayed for at least two weeks. MLB released the following statement:
On Wednesday, the NCAA announced that both the men’s and women’s Division I tournaments will be limited to only essential staff and limited family members. Numerous conference tournaments have also been canceled. The NBA also suspended their regular season after Utah Jazz center Rudy Gobert tested positive for COVID-19. MLS, NLL and NHL have also suspended play as of March 12, 2020.
According to NBC Sports Philadelphia’s Jim Salisbury, the Phillies have sent their scouts home from spring training. Players and staff around MLB will remain in their respective spring training facilities in Florida and Arizona for the time being.
This story will be updated as more information becomes available.
MORE FROM PHILLIES NATION
- Phillies Nuggets: Opening Day Lineup Projection 3.0
- Phillies Nation’s Top 20 Philadelphia Phillies Prospects
- Bryce Harper Gives Honest Thoughts On Gabe Kapler
- How Much Room Do The Phillies Have Under The Luxury Tax Threshold?
- Former Phillie Jose Bautista Attempting Comeback As Two-Way Player
- Joe Girardi Says Hector Neris Will Be Closer
- First Look: Power Blue Jerseys With Nike Swoosh
- How Good Could The 2006 Phillies Have Been With The DH?
- J.T. Realmuto Is Reportedly Targeting A Massive New Deal
- The Phillies Are Sporting New Helmets In 2020