Every day until Opening Day arrives, Phillies Nation will take a daily look back at a regular season victory from that particular day in history that you can watch in full in lieu of live Phillies baseball. Think of it is as your daily Phillies watch recommendation.
In the first series of the season, the defending World Champion Philadelphia Phillies were looking to avoid a sweep against the rival Atlanta Braves. The team did not get off to a hot start. Joe Blanton pitched just four innings, giving up seven earned runs. After being down 10-3 heading into the bottom of the seventh, the Phillies sent 13 men to the plate and scored 8 runs to take an 11-10 lead. Brad Lidge earned his first save of the season, making him 49-for-49 in save attempts in his Phillies career.
At first, it seemed like a typical businessperson’s special in April, but the game became much more meaningful five days later. Beloved broadcaster Harry Kalas tragically passed away on April 13, 2009 in the broadcast booth at Nationals Park. The Phillies embarked on a six-game road trip beginning April 10. The game marked the final time Kalas would broadcast a game in Philadelphia.
- Omar Infante, third base
- Kelly Johnson, second base
- Yunel Escobar, shortstop
- Brian McCann, catcher
- Casey Kotchman, first base
- Jeff Francoeur, right field
- Matt Diaz, left field
- Jordan Schafer, center field
- Javier Vaźquez, pitcher
- Jimmy Rollins, shortstop
- Shane Victorino, center field
- Chase Utley, second base
- Ryan Howard, first base
- Jayson Werth, right field
- Raúl Ibañez, left field
- Pedro Feliz, third base
- Carlos Ruiz, catcher
- Joe Blanton, pitcher
You can watch the full game down below or by using this link. You can also watch it on your Smart TV or streaming device with the Youtube app. Just put in “ATL at PHI April 8, 2009′ into the search bar and click on the video.
MORE FROM PHILLIES NATION
- Bryce Harper Gives Honest Thoughts On Gabe Kapler
- Scott Kingery Opens Up On The Challenges Of Playing Multiple Positions
- Phillies Phlashback: The Time Ryan Howard Dominated In Japan
- Andrew McCutchen Says He’ll Lead Off When 2020 Season Begins
- Seranthony Dominguez Recommended For Tommy John Surgery
- Bryce Harper On J.T. Realmuto: ‘I Want Him More Than Anything’
- Realmuto, Gregorius Will Become Free Agents After 2020 Season Regardless Of Length
- MLB Could Cancel All-Star Game, Move World Series To Dodger Stadium
- Joe Girardi Gushes About Bryce Harper: ‘He’s Such A Good Person’
- Zack Wheeler On Latest MLB Proposal: ‘That’s Not Going To Work’