The Philadelphia Phillies current uniform set is one of the best in baseball, at least according to a new countdown.
Uni Watch‘s Paul Lukas, writing for Inside Hook, released his annual MLB uniform power rankings and the Phillies checked in at No. 4:
“Here at Uni Watch HQ, we usually frown on teams that don’t wear their city name on any of their jerseys. But we can cut some slack for the Phillies, because omitting the city name is actually part of their uniform heritage: Over the team’s 137-year history, they have never worn the word “Philadelphia” across their chests (although they have worn the abbreviation “Phila.” and at one point did consider using the full city name). That issue notwithstanding, the Phils are a case study in how to build a first-rate baseball uniform set: Start with classic home and road designs, add a cream-colored alternate and top it off with a powder-blue throwback. Not a stinker in the bunch!“
The Phillies introduced their current primary home (seen at the top of the article) and road jerseys (seen above) in 1992, meaning that if there is a 2020 season, this will be the 28th season of this current home/road uniform combination.
2008, which ended up being the season that the Phillies won their second World Series title, is the year that the team began to wear their current cream alternate jerseys on day games played at Citizens Bank Park. The cream alternate plays homage to the home jerseys that the Phillies wore in the late 1940s. The jersey combination eventually got its own batting helmet, and is now worn for all home games played during the day except on Thursdays.
The team’s most popular current uniforms are the throwback powder blue jerseys they’ve worn at Citizens Bank Park on Thursday games since 2018. Though the Phillies actually donned the powder blue jerseys as their primary road jerseys from 1973 to 1988, most have embraced it as a home alternate for today’s team. It doesn’t hurt that they were the jerseys that the Phillies were wearing when Bryce Harper hit a walk-off grand slam against the Chicago Cubs at Citizens Bank Park on Aug. 15, 2019, one of the most iconic regular season moments in team history.
The countdown says the Phillies have the best uniforms in the National League East, and even puts them above classic jerseys in the sport like the New York Yankees and Detroit Tigers. The only three teams that rank above the Phillies are the St. Louis Cardinals, Oakland Athletics and Chicago Cubs.
MORE FROM PHILLIES NATION
- Phillies Top Position Prospect Alec Bohm Hires Scott Boras As Agent
- The Forgotten Iconic No-Hitter In Phillies History
- Raul Ibanez Is Interested In Managing When The Time Is Right
- Phillies Phlashback: The Time Ryan Howard Dominated In Japan
- Bryce Harper Texted Nationals Manager To Encourage Him During World Series Run
- Larry Bowa Thinks DH Should Become Universal Or Be Eliminated
- Watch: Chase Utley Surprises Philadelphia Doctor On Intentional Talk
- Bryce Harper On J.T. Realmuto: ‘I Want Him More Than Anything’
- Realmuto, Gregorius Will Become Free Agents After 2020 Season Regardless Of Length
- Joe Girardi Gushes About Bryce Harper: ‘He’s Such A Good Person’