Philadelphia Phillies ace and Yuengling brand ambassador Aaron Nola made the media rounds on Tuesday to promote the launch of the virtual fundraiser Cheers, PA to benefit the Hospitality Assistance Response of Pennsylvania (HARP). He talked about the campaign as well as what he thought about some of the reported health and safety measures the league proposed. One of the proposed safety measures includes starting pitchers sitting in the stands when they’re not scheduled to pitch.
“It’d be weird, for sure,” Nola told Alex Holley and Mike Jerrick of FOX 29. “It’d be weird not being with your teammates…Spitting in the dugout, (it’s) definitely hard. You got seeds and stuff all over the dugout. Pitchers, like you said, licking your fingers. I lick my fingers all the time, especially when it’s chilly or cold outside. I’ve been doing it since I was a kid. That would probably be the hardest thing for me not to do.”
Despite the proposed restrictions and tensions between the union and league, Nola expressed optimism about the two sides coming together in agreement to begin the season.
“When baseball comes back, it’s going to be tough, but I’ve got confidence in the player’s association and the league that things are going to work out the way they should.”
In another interview, Nola was asked if he was comfortable with returning to play to July.
“Yes and no,” Nola told Aunyea Lachelle of Philly Live. “I think the first thing is safety. We don’t 100 percent know if we’re going to play or if we’re not going to play. I think the main thing is safety. We all want to be safe. For people that have families and kids, they want to keep them safe and that’s the most important thing.”
Cheers Up is a 30-day fundraiser to help hospitality workers in Pennsylvania who have lost their jobs in the midst of the pandemic. Through June 19, fans can donate for a chance to win signed memorabilia from current Phillies and Eagles players as well as a variety of Phillies experiences.
MORE FROM PHILLIES NATION
- 5 Things We Learned From Bryce Harper’s Incredibly Honest Interview
- MVP Voting Was Ridiculously Unkind To Chase Utley
- Power-Hitting Prospect Darick Hall Will Look To Continue His Approach When Baseball Returns
- What Was Ryan Howard’s Most Memorable Home Run? The Former MVP Answers…
- A Look Back At Some Phillies’ High School Careers In Other Sports
- Ruben Amaro Jr. Says He Never Wanted To Trade Cliff Lee
- Bryce Harper Says MLB Players Should Play In Olympics To Grow Sport
- Do You Remember Who The Phillies Drafted Over Roy Halladay?
- Bryce Harper: ‘Blackouts Are Killing The Game’
- These 10 Players Have Made The Most Money As Phillies