Multiple sources told NBC Sports Philadelphia’s Jim Salisbury that if Major League Baseball and the players association were to agree to a deal to begin the 2020 season, the Phillies would likely hold spring training in Philadelphia.
Logistically speaking, holding spring training in Philadelphia is feasible. Extra field space could be in use at the team’s Urban Youth Academy at FDR Park. Of course, no fans would be allowed to attend.
According to Salisbury, if teams such as the Orioles, Yankees or Mets decided to hold spring training in their own stadiums, the Phillies could play exhibition games between those teams. If not, expect intrasquad games prior to the regular season. So far, it’s unclear as to whether or not these games would be televised. Considering that it is in the best interest of the league, media, and fans to put the games on television, it’s hard to see why not.
In the event the league and the union reach an agreement prior to June 1, players would be given about a week to report to their respective facilties. Per Salisbury, camp could open anywhere between June 10-15.
All of this is contingent upon both the league and the union reaching an agreement as well as the severity of Coronavirus within the Philadelphia area. If cases spike within the coming weeks, the Phillies will most likely decide to hold spring training down south in Clearwater.
MORE FROM PHILLIES NATION
- 5 Things We Learned From Bryce Harper’s Incredibly Honest Interview
- MVP Voting Was Ridiculously Unkind To Chase Utley
- Power-Hitting Prospect Darick Hall Will Look To Continue His Approach When Baseball Returns
- What Was Ryan Howard’s Most Memorable Home Run? The Former MVP Answers…
- A Look Back At Some Phillies’ High School Careers In Other Sports
- Ruben Amaro Jr. Says He Never Wanted To Trade Cliff Lee
- Bryce Harper Says MLB Players Should Play In Olympics To Grow Sport
- Do You Remember Who The Phillies Drafted Over Roy Halladay?
- Bryce Harper: ‘Blackouts Are Killing The Game’
- These 10 Players Have Made The Most Money As Phillies