Every day until Opening Day arrives, Phillies Nation will take a daily look back at a regular-season victory from that particular day in history that you can watch in full in lieu of live Phillies baseball. Think of it is as your daily Phillies watch recommendation.
June 8, 1999 – Phillies 11, Yankees 5
In an early September outing in 1997, Curt Schilling dominated the New York Yankees. He struck out 16 over eight innings in what was one of the best outings of his Phillies career. Schilling was set to face the Yankees again at the Vet almost two years later. In his ’97 outing, Schilling struck young Yankees superstar Derek Jeter out four times. This time around, Jeter got the best of Schilling as he smacked a two-run home run in the top of the first to give the Yankees a 2-0 lead.
Schilling went on to give up five earned runs over six innings. The Phillies offense finally showed up when Marlon Anderson doubled and scored Kevin Sefcik from second in the sixth.
In the seventh, the team sent 13 men to the plate and scored nine runs in total to take an 11-5 lead. It all started when Mike Lieberthal hit a chopper to Jeter. He had trouble handling the ball and rushed the throw to first, which sailed past Tino Martinez’s head at first.
- Tony Tarasco, left field
- Derek Jeter, shortstop
- Bernie Williams, center field
- Tino Martinez, first base
- Paul O’ Neill, right field
- Jorge Posada, catcher
- Scott Brosius, third base
- Chuck Knoblauch, second base
- Hideki Irabu, pitcher
- Doug Glanville, center field
- Marlon Anderson, second base
- Scott Rolen, third base
- Rico Brogna, first base
- Ron Gant, left field
- Bobby Abreu, right field
- Mike Lieberthal, catcher
- Desi Relaford, shortstop
- Curt Schilling, pitcher
You can watch the full game down below or by using this link. You can also watch it on your Smart TV or streaming device with the YouTube app. Just put in “June 8th, 1999 – Yankees vs. Phillies” into the search bar and click on the video.
MORE FROM PHILLIES NATION
- 4 Things We Learned From E:60’s Roy Halladay Documentary
- MVP Voting Was Ridiculously Unkind To Chase Utley
- Power-Hitting Prospect Darick Hall Will Look To Continue His Approach When Baseball Returns
- Roy Halladay Pitched Through ‘Pop In Back’ During Game 5 of 2011 NLDS
- 5 Things We Learned From Bryce Harper’s Incredibly Honest Interview
- 6 Complete-Game Shutouts: Cliff Lee’s Single Season Feat That May Never Be Matched Again
- Ruben Amaro Jr. Says He Never Wanted To Trade Cliff Lee
- Phillies Phlashback: The Most Bizzare Ballpark Promotion In Team History
- Do You Remember Who The Phillies Drafted Over Roy Halladay?
- These 10 Players Have Made The Most Money As Phillies