On Phillies Nation, we’re celebrating Cliff Lee Month in June, highlighting one of the most iconic months that a Phillie has ever had. On this day in 2011, Lee truly reached another level.
Lee won his first two starts of the month, limiting the Los Angeles Dodgers and Chicago Cubs to just one run over 15 combined innings. Amazingly, those would go down as his two worst performances of the month.
On June 16, 2011, Lee would make quick work of the Marlins in a Thursday matinee at Citizens Bank Park. Though he only struck out four batters, he limited the fish to just two hits in a complete-game shutout. It was the first of three consecutive complete-game shutouts that Lee would toss to complete the month of June.
It took Lee 117 pitches and just two hours and 21 minutes to set the Marlins aside, as he pitched to contact about as well as one is capable of doing. Though this didn’t crack our top five starts that Lee made as a Phillie, it certainly would have made a top 10 list.
- Jimmy Rollins, shortstop
- Shane Victorino, center field
- Placido Polanco, third base
- Ryan Howard, first base
- Raul Ibanez, left field
- Carlos Ruiz, catcher
- Domonic Brown, right field
- Michael Martinez, second base
- Cliff Lee, pitcher
- Emilio Bonifacio, shortstop
- Omar Infante, second base
- Logan Morrison, left field
- Gaby Sanchez, first base
- Jose Lopez, third base
- Giancarlo Stanton, right field
- John Buck, catcher
- Chris Coghlan, center field
- Javier Vazquez, pitcher
You can watch the full game down below or by using this link. You can also watch it on your Smart TV or streaming device with the YouTube app. Just put in “FLO AT PHI – June 16, 2011” into the search bar and click on the video.
MORE FROM PHILLIES NATION
- Cliff Lee’s Top 5 Starts As A Phillie
- Phillies’ First-Round Selection Mick Abel Greeted To Team With FaceTime Call From Bryce Harper
- Getting By Manny Ramirez Was One Of Phillies Biggest 2008 Accomplishments
- ‘The Real Deal:’ Read Cole Hamels’ Pre-Draft Scouting Report
- 33 Numbers To Remember: The Defining Statistics of Cliff Lee’s Career
- 4 Things We Learned From E:60’s Roy Halladay Documentary
- On Carson Ragsdale, The Phillies’ Fourth-Round Pick Who Once Dominated The NCAA’s Best Team
- Cliff Lee’s Single-Season Feat That May Never Be Matched Again
- Phillies Didn’t Think There Was ‘Any Chance’ Casey Martin Fell To Them In The Third Round
- Phillies Phlashback: The Most Bizzare Ballpark Promotion In Team History