The Philadelphia Phillies were supposed to begin the home half of a home-and-home with the New York Yankees tonight. It will have to wait.
According to Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic, the game has been postponed after the Miami Marlins had COVID-19 outbreak during their weekend trip to Citizens Bank Park.
Monday, ESPN‘s Jeff Passan and Jesse Rogers reported that eight additional players and two coaches employed by the Marlins had tested positive for COVID-19, increasing the total for the organization to 14 just since the weekend started. José Ureña, the Marlins scheduled starter Sunday, was scratched before the game, with the belief being that he tested positive. The Marlins actually have not yet left Philadelphia, per Bob Nightengale of USA Today, and their scheduled contest against the Baltimore Orioles in Miami has been postponed.
The Yankees were scheduled to travel to Philadelphia and be stationed in the same clubhouse that the Marlins have been in for the past three days. It’s easy to understand, even if great measures are taken to fumigate the clubhouse, why there would be some reservations about doing that.
It’s unclear what will happen to Tuesday evening’s scheduled game between the Phillies and Yankees at Citizens Bank Park. It’s also not initially clear when (or if?) Monday’s game will be made up. Wednesday and Thursday, the two teams are scheduled to play at Yankee Stadium.
To this point, it’s unclear how affected the Phillies are as a team from having played against and hosted the Marlins for the weekend. It does feel worth noting that pitching coach Bryan Price was absent for the final two games of the series against the Marlins, with manager Joe Girardi unable to discuss why that was the case.
We will have more on this story as details come in…
MORE FROM PHILLIES NATION
- Remembering Bart Braun, Whose Fingerprints Are On Everyone In The Phillies Organization
- Phillies’ 2020 Walk-Up Songs
- Joe Girardi Favors Postseason Expansion In Short And Long Term
- Rhys Hoskins Makes Another Adjustment To His Stance
- Former Top Prospect Domonic Brown Returns To Reading, This Time As Youth Coach
- Andrew McCutchen Leads Movement To Bring Unity Among All
- Didi Gregorius Says He Plans To Wear A Mask During Games
- Keith Law Discusses State Of Phillies Farm System
- Roman Quinn Says He’s A Fan Of MLB’s New Extra-Innings Rule
- Alec Bohm Calls Spencer Howard ‘One Of The Best Guys To Have In The Clubhouse’