Former Phillies outfielder and general manager Rubén Amaro Jr will be joining the NBC Sports Philadelphia broadcast team this season, the station announced this afternoon.
“We are absolutely thrilled to welcome Ruben to our outstanding Phillies broadcast team,” NBC Sports Philadelphia VP, Live Events Shawn Oleksiak said in a statement. “His insight and knowledge of the game, the league and the Phillies organization will add dimension to an already stellar broadcast team.”
Amaro, who served as general manager of the Phillies from 2009 to 2015, will join Tom McCarthy, Ben Davis, John Kruk and Greg Murphy on the television crew.
“I am incredibly excited to join this great broadcast group and equally excited to tell the stories of my hometown team,” Amaro said in a statement. “I grew up a fan of the Phillies and the opportunity to return to Philly and broadcast games for a team that my father and I both played for is a dream come true.”
Phillies fans got a glimpse of Amaro on the call of a game this past Friday, when he joined Murphy and radio color analyst Kevin Frandsen for the call of a Phillies’ instrasquad game that was broadcasted over the Phillies social media platforms.
Along with broadcasting games this season, Amaro will be featured on the pre and post-game shows with Michael Barkann, Ricky Bottalico, Davis and Corey Seidman. He will also be a frequent guest on the Phillies Talk podcast with Jim Salisbury and Seidman NBCSP announced.
In five seasons with the Phillies, 1993-1998, Amaro slashed .239/.313/.313 196 hits, 13 home runs and 86 RBIs.
Amaro will debut on NBC Sports Philadelphia tonight at 6 p.m. EST as the Phillies will take on the New York Yankees in their final exhibition game before the start of the 2020 season on Friday.
MORE FROM PHILLIES NATION
- Remembering Bart Braun, Whose Fingerprints Are On Everyone In The Phillies Organization
- Bryce Harper Advocates For Spencer Howard To Be In Phillies Rotation
- Former Top Prospect Domonic Brown Returns To Reading, This Time As Youth Coach
- Didi Gregorius Says He Plans To Wear A Mask During Games
- Phillies Reportedly May Let J.T. Realmuto Test Free Agency
- Keith Law Discusses State Of Phillies Farm System
- Roman Quinn Says He’s A Fan Of MLB’s New Extra-Innings Rule
- Beyond Realmuto, Who Are Top Free Agents Next Offseason?
- Alec Bohm Calls Spencer Howard ‘One Of The Best Guys To Have In The Clubhouse’
- ‘We Got A Chance To Win This Whole Thing’: Mick Abel and the Jesuit Crusaders’ Run To The Oregon State Championship