The greatest second baseman in Philadelphia Phillies history has been selected for enshrinement — this time for his accomplishments in the minor leagues.
Former Phillie Chase Utley has been named to the Florida State League Hall of Fame, the Clearwater Threshers announced. He will be one of nine inductees in the 2020 class.
Before beginning an All-Star career in the majors, Utley spent the 2001 season in the Single-A Florida State League with the Clearwater Phillies. The 1997 second-round pick batted .257 with 16 home runs that year for Clearwater. He was a Florida State League All-Star and participated in the 2001 Futures Game.
Utley would later return to Clearwater a handful of times throughout his career. He played in a total of 22 games for the Clearwater Threshers while rehabbing injuries from 2010-2012.
The second baseman played 16 seasons in the major leagues. He made six All-Star teams, won four Silver Slugger awards, was a member of five straight division-winning Phillies teams and won the 2008 World Series with Philadelphia.
The Florida State League also named former Minnesota Twin Michael Cuddyer, former New York Yankee Mariano Rivera, former Boston Red Sox player and current Los Angeles Dodgers manager Dave Roberts, former Atlanta Brave John Smotlz, former St. Lucie Mets pitching coach Phil Regan, Seattle Mariners executive Trevor Gooby, Mets executive Paul Taglieri and former umpire Tim McClelland to the class.
An induction ceremony will not take place this year due to the COVID-19 pandemic, but the league intends to hold one at some point in 2021.
MORE FROM PHILLIES NATION
- Remembering Bart Braun, Whose Fingerprints Are On Everyone In The Phillies Organization
- Phillies’ 2020 Walk-Up Songs
- Joe Girardi Favors Postseason Expansion In Short And Long Term
- Rhys Hoskins Makes Another Adjustment To His Stance
- Former Top Prospect Domonic Brown Returns To Reading, This Time As Youth Coach
- Andrew McCutchen Leads Movement To Bring Unity Among All
- Didi Gregorius Says He Plans To Wear A Mask During Games
- Keith Law Discusses State Of Phillies Farm System
- Roman Quinn Says He’s A Fan Of MLB’s New Extra-Innings Rule
- Alec Bohm Calls Spencer Howard ‘One Of The Best Guys To Have In The Clubhouse’