With the postseason set to be played at neutral sites, Sunday, the final home game of the Philadelphia Phillies 2020 season, may be the last time that we see the Phillie Phanatic in 2020. If so, the Phanatic is going out in style.
Early on in Sunday’s matchup between the Phillies and Toronto Blue Jays at Citizens Bank Park, the Phanatic was walking to his seat behind home plate, spilling a bit of popcorn on his way. Eventually, he just gave up on trying to make it to his seat with the popcorn, and dumped it all over the camera operator behind home plate:
During Sunday afternoon’s game, the Phillies announced that Tom Burgoyne, the “friend of the Phanatic,” will be the 2020 Richie Ashburn and David Montgomery Special Achievement Award.
MORE FROM PHILLIES NATION
- What Position Is Alec Bohm’s Future At?
- Aaron Nola’s Elite Changeup Is A Difference-Maker In 2020
- Mickey Moniak Reflects On Major League Promotion
- Watch: One Phillie Apologized To Jackie Robinson For Ben Chapman’s Racism
- Rhys Hoskins: ‘Change Starts With These Conversations’
- McCutchen And Girardi On A Jackie Robinson Day That Felt ‘A Little Different’
- Roman Quinn, The Fastest Man In Baseball, Idolized Jimmy Rollins
- Nick Pivetta’s Career In Philadelphia: A Brief Post-Mortem
- After Setback, David Robertson Is Out For The Season
- Phillies’ 2020 Walk-Up Songs