Major League Baseball announced its annual Hank Aaron Award finalists on Wednesday. Among those is Phillies outfielder Bryce Harper, who has been nominated for the award for a second consecutive season.
The soon to be 28-year-old Harper was on an MVP-pace to begin the 2020 season. He batted .338 with six home runs, 16 RBIs and a 1.147 OPS from July 24 to Aug. 20.
With a back injury settling in, Harper struggled through the remainder of the season and went a brief tear again during the last week of the season when the Phillies were trying to stave off another September collapse.
It’s the third time Harper has received the nomination for the award, which goes to “the most outstanding regular season offensive performer in each League.” A panel of MLB.com writers narrowed the field down to seven finalists in each League after all 30 teams nominated a player.
Here are the list of finalists:
- Chicago White Sox: José Abreu
- Atlanta Braves: Freddie Freeman
- Cleveland Indians: José Ramírez
- Los Angeles Dodgers: Corey Seager
- Los Angeles Angels: Mike Trout
- New York Mets: Dominic Smith
- Minnesota Twins: Nelson Cruz
- Philadelphia Phillies: Bryce Harper
- New York Yankees: DJ LeMahieu
- San Diego Padres: Manny Machado
- Tampa Bay Rays: Brandon Lowe
- St. Louis Cardinals: Paul Goldschmidt
- Toronto Blue Jays: Teoscar Hernández
- Washington Nationals: Juan Soto
In 2015, Harper won the award as a member of the Washington Nationals. Ryan Howard, the only Phillie to ever win the Hank Aaron Award, won it in 2006.
Fan voting and a panel of Hall of Famers will select the recipient of the award. You can vote for Harper here.
MORE FROM PHILLIES NATION
- How Much Is Too Much For J.T. Realmuto?
- Who Will Be The Next GM Of The Phillies?
- Does John Middleton Regret The J.T. Realmuto-Sixto Sánchez Deal?
- If The Phillies Are Willing To Wait, Theo Epstein Could Become Available
- Adam Morgan Could Be A Non-Tender Candidate For Phillies
- If Not Didi Gregorius, Who Will Play Shortstop For Phillies In 2021?
- Will José Álvarez return as a Phillie in 2021?
- Bryce Harper: ‘Pitching Wins Championships, Developing Wins Championships’
- Does Jay Bruce Have A Future With The Phillies?
- Phillies Nation Top 20 Phillies Prospects