The 2020 Phillies had the worst bullpen ERA since the integration era began in 1947. They’ve already made one notable free-agent addition for 2021, and appear to be considering a second.
On Monday, the Phillies and Archie Bradley finalized their one-year/$6 million deal after an agreement had been reached Thursday, Jan. 14. The Phillies will look to Bradley for consistency in a bullpen full of young, unproven arms.
Since transitioning to a reliever in 2017, Bradley has been seldom injured and posted a 2.95 ERA over 234 2/3 innings of work.
Even with Bradley officially in the fold, the Phillies bullpen situation is still fluid. According to Mark Feinsand of MLB.com the Phillies have shown interest in veteran Jeremy Jeffress.
Jeffress has posted a sub-2.00 ERA in two of the last three seasons, ranking fifth among MLB relievers in that category since 2018. In that timeframe, he has been effective against both left-handed and right-handed hitters, holding them to .211 and .206 batting averages respectively.
Jeffress is a four-pitch pitcher, relying mostly on his splitter and sinker which he throws a combined 63% of the time. Jeffress also throws a curveball and a four-seam fastball.
While the Phillies will face quite a bit of competition for the 33-year-old – Feinsand says “at least 10 teams” are interested in the reliever – this proves that the Phillies are not done adding bullpen pieces solely with the addition of Bradley.
MORE FROM PHILLIES NATION
- The Top 10 Phillies Home Runs Of The 2020 Season
- Dave Dombrowski Provides Update On J.T. Realmuto, Didi Gregorius
- Andrew Knapp: ‘I Do Think That I Can Play Every Day’
- Would Phillies Be Able To Compete In A Meaningful Way During J.T. Realmuto’s Remaining Peak Years?
- Phillies Sign Highly-Touted Catching Prospect Among Numerous International Signings
- Phillies Should Avoid Banking On Spencer Howard As Key Starter In 2021
- 5 J.T. Realmuto Free Agency Scenarios That End In Him Signing Elsewhere
- What Was The Biggest Home Run Of Chase Utley’s Career?
- Phillies Trade For Intriguing Reliever José Alvarado
- Which Former Phillies Are Still Free Agents?
- The Top 10 Phillies Home Runs At Citizens Bank Park