To make room for both RHP Archie Bradley and infielder C.J. Chatham on the 40-man roster, the Phillies designated RHP Víctor Arano and outfielder Kyle Garlick for assignment. The Atlanta Braves claimed both players on Saturday.
Arano, 25, was excellent in his rookie season with the Phillies. He posted a 2.73 ERA in 59 1/3 innings pitched in 2018 but had to start the 2019 season in Triple-A after a dreadful few weeks of spring training. An elbow injury suffered in May of 2019 severe enough to require surgery sidelined him for the rest of the season. Arano arrived at summer camp significantly behind because he did not have access to a viable facility back home in Mexico. He spent the 2020 season at the Phillies’ satellite camp in Lehigh Valley and struggled to regain his velocity.
Garlick, 28, was acquired from the Los Angeles Dodgers in February 2020. Despite the Phillies’ lack of outfield depth near the end of the 2020 season, Garlick was unable to earn consistent playing time. He made the Opening Day roster and was called up twice to serve as the extra man during doubleheaders. He went 3-for-22 in 12 games before suffering an oblique injury that ended his season in mid-September.
As things stand, the Phillies’ 40-man roster is full. If they sign J.T. Realmuto, they’ll need to open up a spot for him, so it wouldn’t be too surprising if Dave Dombrowski and the front office pulled off a minor trade for a player to be named later before the Realmuto signing is announced. Pitchers Ian Hamilton and Johan Quezada as well as Rule-5 selection Kyle Holder are candidates to either be traded or designated for assignment to make room on the roster for new free-agent signings.
MORE FROM PHILLIES NATION
- The Top 10 Phillies Home Runs Of The 2020 Season
- Archie Bradley: ‘Hopefully We Can Get Our Guy J.T. Back’
- Sixto Sánchez Is Now The No. 1 Pitching Prospect In Baseball
- The Phillies Are ‘Thinking About Winning,’ But Are They Willing To Spend?
- Andrew Knapp: ‘I Do Think That I Can Play Every Day’
- Former Phillies Pitcher Says He Didn’t Purposely Hit Scott Rolen
- Would Phillies Be Able To Compete In A Meaningful Way During J.T. Realmuto’s Remaining Peak Years?
- Phillies Sign Highly-Touted Catching Prospect Among Numerous International Signings
- Phillies Should Avoid Banking On Spencer Howard As Key Starter In 2021
- The Top 10 Phillies Home Runs At Citizens Bank Park