The Philadelphia Phillies had representation at the joint showcase of veteran starters Aníbal Sánchez and Julio Teherán Tuesday, according to Jim Salisbury of NBC Sports Philadelphia.
MLB.com‘s Jon Morosi had previously reported that the Phillies had interest in Sánchez, who has ties to both manager Joe Girardi and president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski.
Now 36, Sánchez posted an unsightly 6.62 ERA in 11 starts for the division-rival Washington Nationals last season. That said, just two seasons ago, Sánchez posted a 3.85 ERA and 4.44 FIP in 30 starts for the Nationals, and was excellent in their World Series run.
It’s unclear if the Phillies attended the showcase primarily because of Sánchez, or if they are intrigued by Teherán as well.
Amazingly, Teherán is still only 29 years old. In nine seasons with the Atlanta Braves, Teherán made six opening day starts and two All-Star Game appearances. Like Sánchez, Teherán struggled mightily in the pandemic-shortened season, posting an ERA north of 10 in 31 1/3 innings for the Los Angeles Angels. It is fair to wonder if a mid-July bout with COVID-19 had an effect on Teherán’s 2020 season, especially since as recently as 2019, Teherán posted a 3.81 ERA and 4.66 FIP in 33 starts.
MLB Network‘s Jon Heyman hears that 24 teams attended the joint showcase in Miami Tuesday, and that the duo threw between 87 and 91 mph. Heyman was told by someone present that “Sánchez flashed his patented great change and Teherán looked improved with ‘new arm slot.'” Heyman would add that both “did well enough that deals may not be far off.”
Dombrowski acknowledged Monday that the Phillies still hope to add more depth to their starting rotation behind the trio of Aaron Nola, Zack Wheeler and Zach Eflin. Spencer Howard and Vince Velasquez remain in the mix, but neither provides much in the way of certainty.
MORE FROM PHILLIES NATION
- The Top 10 Phillies Home Runs Of The 2020 Season
- Archie Bradley: ‘Hopefully We Can Get Our Guy J.T. Back’
- The Phillies Are ‘Thinking About Winning,’ But Are They Willing To Spend?
- Andrew Knapp: ‘I Do Think That I Can Play Every Day’
- Would Phillies Be Able To Compete In A Meaningful Way During J.T. Realmuto’s Remaining Peak Years?
- Phillies Sign Highly-Touted Catching Prospect Among Numerous International Signings
- Phillies Should Avoid Banking On Spencer Howard As Key Starter In 2021
- What Was The Biggest Home Run Of Chase Utley’s Career?
- Which Former Phillies Are Still Free Agents?
- The Top 10 Phillies Home Runs At Citizens Bank Park