The Philadelphia Phillies have signed right-handed pitcher Brandon Kintzler to a minor-league deal with an invite to spring training, according to Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic. If he wins a spot on the MLB roster, Kintzler will make $3 million plus incentives, per Jesse Rogers of ESPN.
Kintzler spent the 2020 season in the back end of the Miami Marlins bullpen. He posted a 2.22 ERA and 5.00 FIP in 24 1/3 innings. The 36-year-old relies heavily on a sinker, which he used 74.3 percent of the time last season. He ranked seventh in groundballs hit among National League relievers.
Rosenthal also mentions that Bryce Harper, Kintzler’s former teammate for two seasons with the Washington Nationals, had a hand in getting the deal done. Harper reportedly “pushed for the deal to happen.” Both Kintzler and Harper are natives of Las Vegas, Nevada.
Kintzler was also offered a major-league deal with the Marlins worth $2 million but he reportedly turned it down for an opportunity to make more money in Philadelphia.
Considering his experience closing out games, Kintzler’s chances of making the big-league roster should be relatively high. In 2020, Kintzler ranked second in the NL in saves (12) behind Josh Hader (13).
He’ll be entering his 12th season as a major leaguer. He previously pitched for the Brewers, Twins, Cubs, Nationals and Marlins.
MORE FROM PHILLIES NATION
- Phillies Nuggets: Opening Day Lineup Projection 1.0
- Who Are The 10 Best Pitchers In The National League East Currently?
- Re-Signing J.T. Realmuto Doesn’t Make Sixto Sánchez Trade A Wash
- Major League Baseball hires former Phillie Raúl Ibañez
- More Details On J.T. Realmuto’s New Contract
- Mike Schmidt Wonders How Many Home Runs He Could Hit In Today’s Game
- What Phillies Will Still Be On Roster In Final Year Of J.T. Realmuto’s Contract?
- Sixto Sánchez Is Now The No. 1 Pitching Prospect In Baseball
- Phillies Sign Highly-Touted Catching Prospect Among Numerous International Signings
- 3 Former Phillies Stars To Appears On Hall Of Fame Ballot For First Time In 2022