As has become customary in 2021, Philadelphia Phillies manager Joe Girardi provided a slew of injury and transaction updates prior to Friday evening’s game against the Boston Red Sox.
- Most notably, J.T. Realmuto has been placed in the 10-day injured list as he continues to battle a bone bruise on his left hand. Realmuto attempted to hit off the tee today, but Girardi says that it “just didn’t feel right.” The two-time All-Star’s injured list stint has been backdated the maximum of three days (May 18), meaning he’ll be eligible to return next Wednesday in Miami.
- As Realmuto goes to the injured list, the Phillies have activated outfielder Matt Joyce, who has been out since May 4 with a right calf strain. The 36-year-old has hit just .100 in his first 30 at-bats with the Phillies.
- Spencer Howard will replace Chase Anderson in the rotation, beginning by making his first start of the year Saturday evening. Howard had given up just one run in nine innings with Triple-A Lehigh Valley. The maximum amount of pitches that Joe Girardi said he’ll be comfortable having the organization’s top prospect throw at this time is 60, so we could very well still see Anderson tomorrow.
- Girardi did seem optimistic that Vince Velasquez will be able to make his next scheduled start on Tuesday in Miami. Velasquez was a late scratch Thursday evening against the Marlins because he felt numbness in his right finger.
MORE FROM PHILLIES NATION
- Phillies Will Be Forced To Consider Drastic Defensive Overhaul After 2021
- Zack Wheeler Is Becoming A Legitimate All-Star Candidate
- Meet The Next Great Phillies Killer
- Phillies 2021 Walk-Up Songs
- Remember The Ryan Howard-Albert Pujols Trade Rumor?
- Jonathan Papelbon Says He Expected To Win 2 World Series With Phillies
- Phillies Nation Top 20 Phillies Prospects: March 2021
- Zack Wheeler on Andrew Knapp: ‘He Would Be Starting On Most Teams’
- J.T. Realmuto Could Have Been Traded For Another Future Phillie In 2014