Before Sunday’s game, the Phillies placed outfielder Roman Quinn on the 60-day injured list with a left Achilles injury. To replace Quinn on the roster, the team selected outfielder Travis Jankowski’s contract from Triple-A.
In Saturday’s game against the Tampa Bay Rays, Quinn suffered a devastating injury while rounding third base in the fifth inning. He tripped around third, limped his way to the plate to score the game-tying run and collapsed at home plate. Manager Joe Girardi and assistant athletic trainer Shawn Fcasni carried the injured Quinn off the field.
“He’s been playing well for us,” Girardi said. “He gets a freak injury with the stitches in his finger, and then he gets this. I feel for the kid. I really do and we’re gonna miss it.”
Quinn’s ruptured his right Achilles during an early offseason workout in 2013. He missed the first month and a half of the 2014 season and returned to play for the Clearwater Threshers. The injury never hindered his game-changing speed and while Quinn has battled numerous injuries throughout his career, his most recent setback may be the most devastating of his career. The 28-year-old is arbitration-eligible for the first time this offseason.
With Quinn going on the 60-day injured list, another roster spot has opened up. Jankowski, who signed a minor-league deal with the Phillies this offseason, was pulled early from the first game of a doubleheader in Lehigh Valley on Saturday. The Lancaster native slashed .304/.451/.375 in 19 games at Triple-A this season. He’s a career .238 hitter in the majors who is a solid defender in the outfield that can steal bases. Jankowski previously played for the San Diego Padres and Cincinnati Reds.
MORE FROM PHILLIES NATION
- Phillies Will Be Forced To Consider Drastic Defensive Overhaul After 2021
- Joe Girardi On Concept Of Mercy Rule: ‘I’d Probably Be OK With It’
- Former College Two-Way Standout Climbing Phillies’ Minor League Ranks As Pitcher
- Zack Wheeler Becomes First Phillie Since Roy Halladay To Do This
- Meet The Next Great Phillies Killer
- Phillies 2021 Walk-Up Songs
- Remember The Ryan Howard-Albert Pujols Trade Rumor?
- Jonathan Papelbon Says He Expected To Win 2 World Series With Phillies
- Zack Wheeler on Andrew Knapp: ‘He Would Be Starting On Most Teams’
- J.T. Realmuto Could Have Been Traded For Another Future Phillie In 2014