In 2020, nine Phillies made their MLB debuts. Due to COVID-19 restrictions, none of their respective families were able to see their loved one play in the big leagues for the first time.
Because last season was void of many feel good moments, it made it all the more special to see Luke Williams’ family greet him on the field following his walk-off home run. The former Phillies third round pick choked up when broadcaster Tom McCarthy mentioned his family’s presence and the importance of the memory he provided them.
“It’s pretty incredible,” Williams said during his postgame conference. “To have them here and be able to witness it with me in person. It’s pretty special. You just can’t make this up. It’s pretty incredible.”
His parents, Mark and Jeannine, as well as sister Samantha and brothers Ike and Jake have enjoyed the ride so far. His parents flew from Florida back home to California following their son’s dominant performance with Team USA. Once they got the call that Luke was on his way to The Show, Mark and Jeannine Williams hopped on an early morning flight from Los Angeles to Philadelphia.
“I think about everything my parents have done for me. It’s pretty awesome,” Williams said.
Joe Girardi is well aware of the sacrifices it takes for a family to raise a ballplayer. He’s glad Williams can share the moment with his family.
“When a player makes it, to me, it’s like the whole family makes it,” Girardi said. “And you think about all the coaches that helped you get to that point from the time you were playing tee-ball. I went back and thought about all my coaches that helped me get to the big leagues and I’m sure Luke has done the same thing and I’m sure his phone has probably got more text messages than he could ever imagine that he was going to get. Because everyone who knows him and has been a part of his life is texting him. It’s a fantastic moment for his family.”
MORE FROM PHILLIES NATION
- Phillies Will Be Forced To Consider Drastic Defensive Overhaul After 2021
- Phillies Not Ruling Out The Possibility Of Seranthony Domínguez Pitching In 2021
- How The Phillies Can Optimize Their Rotation With Light Schedule Ahead
- What Phillies Have A Chance To Make The All-Star Team?
- 33 Numbers To Remember: The Defining Stats Of Cliff Lee’s Career
- Joe Girardi On Concept Of Mercy Rule: ‘I’d Probably Be OK With It’
- Former College Two-Way Standout Climbing Phillies’ Minor League Ranks As Pitcher
- Zack Wheeler Becomes First Phillie Since Roy Halladay To Do This
- Joe Girardi: Phillies View Mickey Moniak ‘More As A Corner Outfielder’
- Phillies 2021 Walk-Up Songs