Former Philadelphia Phillies fan-favorite Vance Worley is back in affiliated baseball, having agreed to a minor-league deal with the New York Mets.
It’s not yet clear what level Worley will report to with the Mets. One would think he’ll head to Triple-A Syracuse, but we’ll have to wait and see.
Now 33, Worley was 2-2 with a 4.01 ERA in five starts for the Kane County Cougars of the independent American Association. Worley did have a complete game in his time with the team.
This will be the second time that Worley has pitched in the Mets organization. In 2018, he made four starts for the Las Vegas 51s, who were the Mets Triple-A affiliate at the time. On a team that also featured former Phillies Cody Asche and Ty Kelly, Worley posted a disastrous 13.50 ERA across 16 2/3 innings.
Worley last pitched in the major leagues with the Miami Marlins in 2017, which didn’t go especially well. In 24 games – 12 of which were starts – Worley went 2-6 with a 6.91 ERA and 4.90 FIP.
Drafted twice by the Phillies – including as a third-rounder in 2008 – Worley made his Major League Debut in 2010. However, it was part of the 2011 team that Worley really got his first extensive action with the Phillies. On a staff that also featured Roy Halladay, Cliff Lee, Cole Hamels and Roy Oswalt, Worley went 11-3 with a 3.01 ERA, 3.32 FIP and 2.3 fWAR across 131 2/3 innings for a team that won a franchise record 102 regular season games. Worley finished third in National League Rookie of the Year Award voting in 2011, behind Atlanta Braves teammates Craig Kimbrel and Freddie Freeman.
Affectionally referred to as “The Vanimal,” Worley was traded along with Trevor May to the Minnesota Twins in December of 2012 for center fielder Ben Revere.
MORE FROM PHILLIES NATION
- Nats GM Mike Rizzo on Joe Girardi: ‘He’s a con artist’
- John Kruk: Jimmy Rollins Is The Second Best Phillie Ever, Hall Of Fame Worthy
- Former Minor League Star Dylan Cozens Now Chasing NFL Career
- New Phillies Prospect Has Qualities That Remind ISD Of Jeff Kent
- Roundtable: What Throwback Uniforms Would You Like The Phillies To Wear As An Alternate?
- Bryce Harper Impressed By Bailey Falter: ‘He’s Nasty’
- Phillies Will Be Forced To Consider Drastic Defensive Overhaul After 2021
- Former Phillie Brock Stassi Happy To Be ‘Back Home’ In Phillies Organization
- 33 Numbers To Remember: The Defining Stats Of Cliff Lee’s Career
- Phillies 2021 Walk-Up Songs