Adam Haseley is off the restricted list, but he’ll remain with Triple-A Lehigh Valley for the time being.
The Philadelphia Phillies reinstated Haseley from the restricted list Saturday, but optioned the former first-round pick to the IronPigs, where he had been rehabbing. Additionally, the Phillies recalled righty Enyel De Los Santos and optioned Rafael Marchan back to Triple-A.
Haseley left the team for undisclosed personal reasons on April 14. Haseley returned to the organization on May 14, and has been working his way back into playing shape. In the time that Haseley has been gone, Odúbel Herrera has re-emerged as the team’s starting center fielder, so it’s not especially surprising to see the 25-year-old optioned for the time being.
Prior to his leave of absence, Haseley was slashing .190/.190/.238 with -1 defensive runs saved in center field. Granted, that was in a small sample size (nine games, 21 at-bats), but Haseley will need to improve if his future is to be in the Phillies organization.
The Phillies will have to make a decision in the offseason on whether to pick up Herrera’s $11.5 million option for 2022, or if they want to tender him contract should the option be declined. Part of that depends on how Herrera performs, but how the Phillies feel about other internal options (such as Haseley) will also play a role.
In seven games at Triple-A so far, Haseley is hitting .207 with just one extra-base hit.
MORE FROM PHILLIES NATION
- Phillies Will Be Forced To Consider Drastic Defensive Overhaul After 2021
- Phillies Not Ruling Out The Possibility Of Seranthony Domínguez Pitching In 2021
- How The Phillies Can Optimize Their Rotation With Light Schedule Ahead
- What Phillies Have A Chance To Make The All-Star Team?
- 33 Numbers To Remember: The Defining Stats Of Cliff Lee’s Career
- Joe Girardi On Concept Of Mercy Rule: ‘I’d Probably Be OK With It’
- Former College Two-Way Standout Climbing Phillies’ Minor League Ranks As Pitcher
- Zack Wheeler Becomes First Phillie Since Roy Halladay To Do This
- Joe Girardi: Phillies View Mickey Moniak ‘More As A Corner Outfielder’
- Phillies 2021 Walk-Up Songs