The Philadelphia Phillies made a few roster moves ahead of their Saturday evening game against Jacob deGrom and the New York Mets, and manager Joe Girardi issued updates on others.
- Catcher Andrew Knapp was activated from the 7-day concussion injured list. Enyel De Los Santos – the 27th man for yesterday’s doubleheader – will stay with the team. To make room for those two on the 26-man roster, the Phillies optioned catcher Rafael Marchan and outfielder Matt Vierling to Triple-A Lehigh Valley.
- As he works his way back from a Grade 1 left groin strain, Jean Segura did some running of the bases Saturday afternoon for the second consecutive day. Segura sustained the injury in Los Angeles on June 15, with general manager Sam Fuld telling the collective media a day later that the two-time All-Star would miss “about three weeks.” Girardi said Saturday afternoon that he’s hopeful that Segura can return sooner than the initially-estimated timeline, but was unsure if he’ll need a rehab assignment before returning to the Phillies.
- Didi Gregorius will play for the IronPigs Saturday evening, after a planned off day Friday. Gregorius is also slated to play Sunday, before an off day for the team on Monday. Following the off day, Gregorius “will probably play some more after that and then we’ll reevaluate,” per Girardi. Gregorius will play five innings Saturday and seven on Sunday. The hope is that the 31-year-old will play a full game or close to one before being activated.
- Matt Joyce’s rehab stint has been halted, as the veteran’s “back acted up again.” Girardi said that the Phillies plan to run some more tests and make an evaluation.
MORE FROM PHILLIES NATION
- A Fire Sale Isn’t Coming, But Selling Some Pieces May Make Sense For Phillies
- John Kruk: Jimmy Rollins Is The Second Best Phillie Ever, Hall Of Fame Worthy
- Former Minor League Star Dylan Cozens Now Chasing NFL Career
- New Phillies Prospect Has Qualities That Remind ISD Of Jeff Kent
- Roundtable: What Throwback Uniforms Would You Like The Phillies To Wear As An Alternate?
- Bryce Harper Impressed By Bailey Falter: ‘He’s Nasty’
- Phillies Will Be Forced To Consider Drastic Defensive Overhaul After 2021
- Former Phillie Brock Stassi Happy To Be ‘Back Home’ In Phillies Organization
- 33 Numbers To Remember: The Defining Stats Of Cliff Lee’s Career
- Phillies 2021 Walk-Up Songs