The Philadelphia Phillies will open the second half of their season with a four-game series against the Miami Marlins, and they’ll do so without the man that’s made four consecutive opening day starts for them.
Matt Moore will start Game 1 of tomorrow’s doubleheader, with Zach Eflin slated to go in Game 2. Vince Velasquez will start Saturday, and All-Star Zack Wheeler scheduled to get the ball Sunday.
Aaron Nola is not one of the four scheduled starters this weekend for the Phillies, which suggests he remains on the COVID-related injured list. Alec Bohm tested positive for COVID-19 last weekend, forcing the removal of him from Saturday’s win in Boston, just innings after he had homered. Nola, Bailey Falter and Connor Brogdon were placed on the COVID-related IL Sunday because of contact tracing. Nola had been scheduled to pitch Sunday, but the Phillies were instead forced to have a bullpen game.
There are no further updates on Nola, Falter and Brogdon – or Bohm, for that matter – but given that Nola hasn’t pitched since July 6, this weekend’s absence suggest the Phillies aren’t sure when he’ll be eligible to pitch again.
The Phillies will enter the second half at 44-44, 3 1/2 games back of the New York Mets in the National League East.
MORE FROM PHILLIES NATION
- ‘Man I Throw Hay Bales On A Trailer’: Christian McGowan Comes From Small Town To Phillies
- Spencer Howard To ‘Take The Reins Off,’ Build Pitch Count In Minors
- Cole Hamels Slated To Hold Showcase For Potential Suitors Later This Month
- Report: 9-Inning Doubleheaders Could Return In 2022
- Brian Barber On Mick Abel: ‘He’s Exactly What We Thought He Was Going To Be’
- Joe Girardi Is Feeling The Heat
- Brad Miller On Zack Wheeler: ‘It’s Cy Young, MVP – It’s All Of It’
- Exec On Gabe Kapler: ‘He Learned A Lot Of Lessons’ From Time With Phillies
- Sinclair Broadcast Group Makes Bid To Buy NBC Sports Philadelphia, Other Local Networks
- Phillies 2021 Walk-Up Songs