Brad Miller is aware of the historically-dominant season that Jacob deGrom is having for the New York Mets. deGrom has an 0.95 ERA in 14 starts this season, and is the odds-on favorite to win both the National League Cy Young Award and MVP.
But while the Philadelphia Phillies utility-man understands the context of deGrom’s 2021 season, Miller seems to believe that in just about any other year we’d be talking about Wheeler as in the discussion for both awards.
“It’s amazing,” Miller said of Wheeler’s season thus far after Friday night’s win. “I think obviously with deGrom doing what he’s doing, it [Wheeler’s season] doesn’t get talked about enough because deGrom has been amazing. and historic. But what our guy is doing is Cy Young, MVP – it’s all of it. Some of his starts, if I’m not starting, he’s just on the corners with power stuff, it’s incredible. I love his demeanor. He’s a workhorse, and yeah, it’s been really special to get to watch him pitch every five days.”
After pitching 7 2/3 scoreless Friday, Wheeler’s ERA is down to 2.05, the fifth-best mark among qualified starters in baseball, trailing only deGrom, Kevin Gausman, Brandon Woodruff and Kyle Gibson.
The 31-year-old doesn’t trail anyone in terms of innings pitched this season, having already racked up 114 innings this season. Joe Girardi has acknowledged throughout the course of the season that the Phillies need to be careful not to push Wheeler too much given that he threw 71 total innings in the pandemic-shortened 2020 season. It’s no doubt impressive, though, that Wheeler is at 114 innings, and no other starter in baseball has even reached 110.
If deGrom stays healthy, he’s almost certain to win both the Cy Young Award and MVP in the National League, and he’ll deserve to. But if there is any slip up from deGrom, his former teammate may have something to say about who wins at least one of those awards.
MORE FROM PHILLIES NATION
- Joe Girardi Is Feeling The Heat
- Phillies Announce New Date For Roy Halladay Number Retirement Ceremony
- A Fire Sale Isn’t Coming, But Selling Some Pieces May Make Sense For Phillies
- John Kruk: Jimmy Rollins Is The Second Best Phillie Ever, Hall Of Fame Worthy
- Former Minor League Star Dylan Cozens Now Chasing NFL Career
- New Phillies Prospect Has Qualities That Remind ISD Of Jeff Kent
- Roundtable: What Throwback Uniforms Would You Like The Phillies To Wear As An Alternate?
- Bryce Harper Impressed By Bailey Falter: ‘He’s Nasty’
- Former Phillie Brock Stassi Happy To Be ‘Back Home’ In Phillies Organization
- Phillies 2021 Walk-Up Songs