The Phillies will officially retire Hall of Fame pitcher Roy Halladay’s No. 34 in a ceremony during Phillies Wall of Fame weekend on Sunday, Aug. 8 vs. the New York Mets at 1:05 pm.
The team originally planned to hold a pregame ceremony on the 10th anniversary of his perfect game against the Florida Marlins on May 29, 2020. The COVID-19 pandemic canceled the initial ceremony.
Beloved Phillies catcher Carlos Ruiz is scheduled to take part in the ceremony along with Hall of Famer Steve Carlton and Raúl Ibañez. The ceremony, which begins at 12:45 pm, will feature the unveiling of Halladay’s number in Ashburn Alley along with a six-foot-high statue of Halladay’s No. 34 at the Third Base Plaza. Fans in attendance will receive a replica No. 34 statue upon entry. The Phillies will wear a commemorative No. 34 patch on their uniforms during the game.
Halladay was added to the team’s Wall of Fame in 2018 and elected to the Hall of Fame a year later. In four seasons with the Phillies, Halladay won the 2010 Cy Young Award, pitched the 20th perfect game in MLB history and threw only the second postseason no-hitter. He had a 3.25 ERA, 18 complete games and five complete-game shutouts in 103 starts with the Phillies. Halladay tragically passed away at the age of 40 in a plane crash on Nov. 7, 2017.
The Phillies also announced that they will honor former team president David Montgomery before the game on Friday, Aug. 6 at 7:05 pm. Montgomery will posthumously receive the Buck O’Neil Lifetime Achievement Award in Cooperstown, New York during Hall of Fame weekend on July 24. The Phillies also plan to unveil a display featuring Hall of Fame Awards that will be located inside the Hall of Fame Club at Citizens Bank Park. Harry Kalas’s Ford C. Frick Award will be featured in the display. Fans in attendance for Friday’s game will receive a David Montgomery scorecard print.
All of this coincides with the Manny Trillo Wall of Fame ceremony scheduled for Saturday, Aug. 7 at 4:05 pm. Carlton, Pat Gillick, Mike Schmidt, Bobby Abreu, Bob Boone, Larry Bowa, John Kruk, Greg Luzinski, Mike Lieberthal, Garry Maddox and Charlie Manuel are among the Wall of Famers expected to be in attendance. Fans in attendance for Saturday’s game will receive a Manny Trillo Wall of Fame print.
MORE FROM PHILLIES NATION
- Joe Girardi Is Feeling The Heat
- A Fire Sale Isn’t Coming, But Selling Some Pieces May Make Sense For Phillies
- John Kruk: Jimmy Rollins Is The Second Best Phillie Ever, Hall Of Fame Worthy
- Former Minor League Star Dylan Cozens Now Chasing NFL Career
- New Phillies Prospect Has Qualities That Remind ISD Of Jeff Kent
- Roundtable: What Throwback Uniforms Would You Like The Phillies To Wear As An Alternate?
- Bryce Harper Impressed By Bailey Falter: ‘He’s Nasty’
- Former Phillie Brock Stassi Happy To Be ‘Back Home’ In Phillies Organization
- 33 Numbers To Remember: The Defining Stats Of Cliff Lee’s Career
- Phillies 2021 Walk-Up Songs