The Philadelphia Phillies defense has not been one of their strong suits over the past few seasons. Ronald Torreyes has been one of the few bright spots in the field in 2021.
He impressed once again with an incredible double play to save a run and end the top of the fifth inning of game one of the doubleheader. This 5-4-3 double play courtesy of Torreyes and Jean Segura got the crowd on their feet.
On the NBC Sports Philadelphia broadcast, Statcast measured Torreyes’ throw from his knees to be 67 mph and Segura’s throw was 89.6 mph. This came two innings after Torreyes’ RBI single to extend the Phillies lead to 5-2.
He was not done yet. In the top of the sixth, Torreyes made a barehanded grab for the final out of the inning.
It’s up to the bullpen to finish the rest of this one. Travis Jankowski’s four RBIs have the Phillies in the lead.
MORE FROM PHILLIES NATION
- Spencer Howard To ‘Take The Reins Off,’ Build Pitch Count In Minors
- Brian Barber On Mick Abel: ‘He’s Exactly What We Thought He Was Going To Be’
- Joe Girardi Is Feeling The Heat
- Brad Miller On Zack Wheeler: ‘It’s Cy Young, MVP – It’s All Of It’
- Exec On Gabe Kapler: ‘He Learned A Lot Of Lessons’ From Time With Phillies
- Phillies Announce New Date For Roy Halladay Number Retirement Ceremony
- Sinclair Broadcast Group Makes Bid To Buy NBC Sports Philadelphia, Other Local Networks
- A Fire Sale Isn’t Coming, But Selling Some Pieces May Make Sense For Phillies
- John Kruk: Jimmy Rollins Is The Second Best Phillie Ever, Hall Of Fame Worthy
- Phillies 2021 Walk-Up Songs