Final Score: Marlins 7, Phillies 0
The Philadelphia Phillies are back from the All-Star Break, and as the great Marc Zumoff would say, on the seesaw we go.
After an improbable win over the Miami Marlins in Game 1 of their Friday doubleheader led by Travis Jankowski and Ronald Torreyes, the Phillies weren’t able to build any momentum in Game 2. Far from it, really.
With a chance to pull two games above .500 with a win in the second half of a doubleheader, the Phillies laid an egg Friday night.
A Didi Gregorius error on the first play of the game allowed Jazz Chisholm Jr. to reach base, and he was promptly brought home when Starling Marte hit a 422-foot home run off of Zach Eflin in the next at-bat:
The duo of Marte and Jesús Aguilar tormented Phillies pitching Friday evening. Aguilar singled home a run off Eflin in the third inning, scoring Marte. An inning later, Marte recorded another extra-base hit, doubling Chisholm Jr. home. With two on and two outs in the fourth inning, Joe Girardi pulled Eflin in favor of Enyel De Los Santos. Aguilar pulled the third pitch that De Los Santos threw 400 feet for a three-run home run:
With Bryce Harper out of the lineup, the Phillies managed just two hits in a deflating loss.
Shibe Vintage Sports Starting Pitching Performance
- Ross Detwiler pitched a scoreless first inning Friday evening for the Marlins, but was relieved by Jordan Holloway, who didn’t allow a hit in five scoreless innings.
- In his first start of the second half, Zach Eflin struggled, allowing six hits and five earned runs in 3 2/3 innings. The Phillies No. 3 starter now has a 4.17 ERA in 2021.
Phillies Nugget Of The Game
With tonight’s loss, the Phillies fall to 45-45 on the season. Since the start of the 2018 season, the Phillies are 234-240.
Ticket IQ Next Game
- Saturday, July 17 vs. Marlins at Citizens Bank Park
- 6:05 p.m. ET
- TV: NBC Sports Philadelphia
- Radio: SportsRadio 94 WIP
MORE FROM PHILLIES NATION
- ‘Man I Throw Hay Bales On A Trailer’: Christian McGowan Comes From Small Town To Phillies
- Report: Phillies Would Be Interested In Byron Buxton If Made Available
- Spencer Howard To ‘Take The Reins Off,’ Build Pitch Count In Minors
- Cole Hamels Slated To Hold Showcase For Potential Suitors Later This Month
- Report: 9-Inning Doubleheaders Could Return In 2022
- Brian Barber On Mick Abel: ‘He’s Exactly What We Thought He Was Going To Be’
- Joe Girardi Is Feeling The Heat
- Brad Miller On Zack Wheeler: ‘It’s Cy Young, MVP – It’s All Of It’
- Exec On Gabe Kapler: ‘He Learned A Lot Of Lessons’ From Time With Phillies
- Sinclair Broadcast Group Makes Bid To Buy NBC Sports Philadelphia, Other Local Networks
- Phillies 2021 Walk-Up Songs