Philadelphia Phillies prospect Daniel Brito underwent surgery after suffering a medical emergency on the field Saturday while playing for the Triple-A IronPigs in Rochester, New York, prompting the remainder of the series against the Red Wings at Frontier Field to be postponed.
“During the first inning of today’s IronPigs game, third baseman Daniel Brito collapsed on the field,” the Phillies said Saturday in a statement posted by Matt Gelb of The Athletic. “Daniel was transported to a local hospital where he is undergoing surgery. The IronPigs game was subsequently suspended. No additional information on Daniel’s condition is available at this time.”
Saturday’s game, the first of a doubleheader, was suspended in the first inning with Rochester ahead 3-0, and Game 2 was postponed “in the best interest of the players and coaches for both teams,” the Red Wings said in a statement on Twitter.
Rochester announced on Sunday morning that afternoon’s game had been postponed as well.
Players within the Phillies system, both at the major- and minor-league levels, voiced their support for the 23-year-old Brito, who joined the IronPigs last Thursday after a breakout performance for Double-A Reading to start the season.
“My heart aches so much [right now] … Praying for you Brito,” Phillies pitcher and former minor-league teammate of Brito’s JoJo Romero said on Twitter. “… Please keep him in your prayers tonight and during this whole process …”
The IronPigs posted a brief statement on Twitter as well following the postponement of Sunday’s game.
“The IronPigs send our thoughts and prayers to Daniel Brito and his family as he continues to undergo medical evaluation in Rochester,” the team said.
MORE FROM PHILLIES NATION
- Brad Miller’s Grand Slam Reminds Us Why We Love Baseball
- Report: Phillies Liked Craig Kimbrel, But Top Prospect Mick Abel Was A Non-Starter
- Phillies To ‘Revisit The Conversation’ On Cole Hamels With Trade Deadline Gone
- Max Scherzer Reportedly Was Unwilling To Approve Trade To Phillies
- ‘Man I Throw Hay Bales On A Trailer’: Christian McGowan Comes From Small Town To Phillies
- Phillies 8th Rounder Jason Ruffcorn Brings ‘Signature’ Look In Relief
- Selling Teams Reportedly Asked Phillies About Alec Bohm
- Brian Barber On Mick Abel: ‘He’s Exactly What We Thought He Was Going To Be’
- Exec On Gabe Kapler: ‘He Learned A Lot Of Lessons’ From Time With Phillies
- Phillies 2021 Walk-Up Songs