The Phillies made a few roster moves before Saturday’s game against the Colorado Rockies.
Right-handed pitcher Vince Velasquez was designated for assignment, marking the end of his time in the Phillies organization. Velasquez had been on a rehab assignment with Lehigh Valley after landing on the injured list in August with a middle finger blister. He has enough service time to reject a minor-league assignment, so Velasquez will most likely become a free agent after he clears waivers.
Right-handed pitchers Enyel De Los Santos and Rámon Rosso have been optioned to Lehigh Valley. Outfielder Matt Joyce (back spasms) was reinstated from the 60-day injured list. Right-handed pitcher Adonis Medina and outfielder Mickey Moniak were recalled from Lehigh Valley.
Velasquez’s long and arduous stay with the Phillies is over. Through six seasons, Velasquez had a 4.93 ERA with Philadelphia. He was acquired from the Houston Astros in the Ken Giles deal in December 2015. Of all the players included in the deal, Mark Appel is the only one still in the organization. Appel returned to the Phillies organization in March 2021 after a three-year hiatus from the game. He’s currently pitching for the Lehigh Valley IronPigs.
Velasquez struck out 16 batters in his second start in a Phillies uniform on April 14, 2016. Since then, he has yet to recapture the magic. It’s been a long six years, but Velasquez has been apart of some notable moments. Phillies fans soon won’t forget that one time he threw a runner out at the plate from left field.
MORE FROM PHILLIES NATION
- Phillies Nation Top 20 Prospects: September 2021
- 500 Strikeouts Later, Héctor Neris Remains An Integral Part Of Phillies Bullpen
- Brett Myers Is Trying To Make A Comeback To Philadelphia — But Not To Play Baseball
- ‘I’m A Little Different Than Most’: Meet The Phillies’ Eccentric New Pitching Prospect
- September Is Far From Aaron Nola’s Biggest Issue
- Bryce Harper Offers To Fill In At Catcher
- Phillies Reportedly Are ‘Favorites’ To Sign Highly-Touted Venezuelan Prospect
- Ask Phillies Nation: Which Reliever Should The Phillies Re-Sign?
- Spencer Howard Gives Incredible Quote On His Time In Philly
- Phillies 2021 Walk-Up Songs