Bryson Stott has taken on the desert with a hot start in the Arizona Fall League.
The 2019 first rounder has gone 3-for-5 with two doubles and five walks in his first two games for the Peoria Javelinas as the league began play on Wednesday.
Six other Philadelphia Phillies prospects join Stott on the Peoria roster: outfielder Símon Muzziotti, catcher Logan O’Hoppe, left-handers Erik Miller and Damon Jones and right-handers James McArthur and Hans Crouse.
Stott’s performance is a continuation of his strong 2021 season in which he batted .299/.390/.486 with 16 home runs in 112 games across three levels and won the Paul Owens Award for the best position prospect in the organization. But despite his contributions so far in the AFL, the Javelinas dropped their first two games 6-5 to Salt River and 11-9 to Glendale.
O’Hoppe started the opener on Wednesday, going 0-for-4 with a walk and a run scored. Like Stott, he began the year in High-A Jersey Shore and climbed his way to Triple-A Lehigh Valley by year’s end. O’Hoppe tapped into his power this minor-league season with 17 home runs.
Muzziotti started in center field on Thursday, going 0-for-4 with a walk and a run himself. He only played 20 games across five levels in 2021 as he spent most of the season on the restricted list with visa issues.
The three Philadelphia pitchers have yet to make an appearance for the Javelinas, who are made up of players in the Phillies, Braves, Pirates, Padres and Mariners systems. Crouse is scheduled to start on Friday against Salt River. He was called up in September by the Phillies and allowed four runs over seven innings in two late-season starts.
Jones also appeared for the Phillies in the majors in 2021, throwing a scoreless 2/3 innings in one outing in August. He had a 5.88 ERA in 37 games as a Triple-A reliever.
McArthur pitched 19 games for Double-A Reading and made an additional spot start for Jersey Shore this season. He had a 4.25 ERA in 78 1/3 innings.
MORE FROM PHILLIES NATION
- Phillies Nation Top 20 Prospects: September 2021
- Trevor Story Might Be Best Big-Ticket Target For Phillies This Winter
- Preston Mattingly Is Inheriting A Mess. Can He Turn Around The Farm System Before It’s Too Late?
- Joe Girardi Says That Phillies Anticipate Alec Bohm Continuing To Play Third Base
- The Phillies Will Once Again Look Elsewhere For A Closer
- Bryce Harper Isn’t Worried About Wasting His Prime In Philadelphia
- Why Ranger Suárez Is Bryce Harper’s Choice For NL Comeback Player Of The Year
- Andrew McCutchen Would Like To Remain With Phillies, But Knows It’s Out Of His Control
- Cy Young Or Not, Zack Wheeler Has Had One Of The Best Seasons In Phillies History
- Phillies 2021 Walk-Up Songs