Héctor Neris wants to stay in Philadelphia. With his second-half success and desire to stay with the Phillies long term, will president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski attempt to retain him?
Dombrowski wants to boost the bullpen on the free agent market this offseason. When asked if he would consider bringing back Neris — who had quite a bit of success after his removal from the closer’s role — Dombrowski was straightforward.
“Yes,” Dombrowski said, according to Jim Salisbury of NBC Sports Philadelphia. “He pitched well for us. We’d prefer to bring him back as a non-ninth-inning guy. That would be our hope. He’s open to that. Ideally, he’d love to return but I know once a player becomes a free agent, anything can happen.”
Neris struggled in the ninth inning in 2021, posting a 5.20 ERA in 27 2/3 innings of ninth-inning work. However, Neris posted a 1.65 ERA in 16 1/3 innings of eighth-inning work, and a 2.70 ERA overall after the All-Star Break.
The longest-tenured Phillie, Neris made his Major League debut in 2014. In parts of eight seasons in red pinstripes, Neris has posted a 3.42 ERA, 3.79 FIP and 84 saves. The 32-year-old was asked late in the 2021 season if he was interested in re-signing with the only team he’s ever played for.
“Yeah,” Neris told The Athletic‘s Matt Gelb in September. “It’s the team that I grew up with. It’s the team that knows me. I have been available all the time.”
MORE FROM PHILLIES NATION
- Mock Offseason 1.0: Phillies Address Most Needs, But Still Need To Go Over The Luxury Tax Threshold
- Phillies Dipping Toes Into Shortstop Market, But May Only Be Secondary Players
- What Free Agents Could The Phillies Sign Without Giving Up Draft Compensation?
- Veteran MLB Writer Predicts Phillies Will Sign Michael Conforto, Kenley Jansen
- Bryce Harper’s Top 5 Home Runs Of 2021
- After Opting Out, Could Nick Castellanos Be A Target Of The Phillies?
- Add Chris Taylor To List Of Potential Free-Agent Targets For Phillies
- Why The Marlins Could Be An Even Bigger Problem For The Phillies In 2022
- J.T. Realmuto Could Have Been A Pro Athlete In Many Sports, According To His Former Coaches
- Phillies 2021 Walk-Up Songs