The Philadelphia Phillies announced six baseball operations hires Tuesday, including the addition of a former player to the front office.
Howie Kendrick has been hired as a special assistant to general manager Sam Fuld. The Phillies opening day left fielder in 2017, Kendrick hit .340 in 39 games for Pete Mackanin’s team, but struggled to stay healthy in his brief time with the team.
Kendrick was traded to the Washington Nationals in July of 2017, and would ultimately hit the go-ahead home run in Game 7 of the team’s 2019 World Series victory over the Houston Astros. Kendrick retired after the 2020 season, with his 15-year career also seeing him spend time with both Los Angeles franchises, the Angels and Dodgers.
Meanwhile, manager Joe Girardi’s staff for 2022 has officially been filled out.
Jason Camilli will be the new assistant hitting coach, working under Kevin Long, who was hired to be the team’s new hitting coach in October. Camilli had been working as a development coach in the Arizona League for the Cincinnati Reds franchise.
Brian Kaplan has been tabbed as the next assistant pitching coach, also landing the title of director of pitching development. He’ll work under pitching coach Caleb Cotham, who is entering his second year on the job. Kaplan, per the Phillies, had previously served as the vice president of Cressey Sports Performance in Jupiter, Florida, a company that he was a co-founder of. Kaplan initially founded Athletic Development Performance in Jupiter.
Additionally, Morgan Gregory will be the new director of strength and conditioning and nutrition; Furey Leva will be the new assistant major league strength and conditioning coach; and Christian Bermudez will be new medical operations liaison.
MORE FROM PHILLIES NATION
- Mock Offseason 1.0: Phillies Address Most Needs, But Still Need To Go Over The Luxury Tax Threshold
- Phillies Dipping Toes Into Shortstop Market, But May Only Be Secondary Players
- What Free Agents Could The Phillies Sign Without Giving Up Draft Compensation?
- Veteran MLB Writer Predicts Phillies Will Sign Michael Conforto, Kenley Jansen
- Bryce Harper’s Top 5 Home Runs Of 2021
- After Opting Out, Could Nick Castellanos Be A Target Of The Phillies?
- Add Chris Taylor To List Of Potential Free-Agent Targets For Phillies
- Why The Marlins Could Be An Even Bigger Problem For The Phillies In 2022
- J.T. Realmuto Could Have Been A Pro Athlete In Many Sports, According To His Former Coaches
- Phillies 2021 Walk-Up Songs