Despite putting together one of the finest seasons in Philadelphia Phillies history, Zack Wheeler fell short in his quest to win the 2021 National League Cy Young Award, finishing in second place in voting.
Milwaukee’s Corbin Burnes captured the award, posting a 2.43 ERA, 1.63 FIP, 176 ERA+ and 7.5 fWAR in 2021, all of which were best among National League starting pitchers. Burnes did throw 46 1/3 less innings than Wheeler’s 213 1/3 this season, but his dominance over the innings that he did pitch ultimately won out.
That said, Wheeler finished within 10 points of Burnes:
Two writers from each NL city got a vote. Both writers from Philadelphia that voted on this award — Todd Zolecki of MLB.com and Scott Lauber of The Philadelphia Inquirer — gave their first place vote to Wheeler.
Even without a Cy Young Award, Wheeler realized the front-line potential that he flashed in five seasons with the New York Mets during his first All-Star campaign. Wheeler led baseball in innings pitched and strikeouts, while finishing in a tie for the most complete games (three) and complete-game shutouts (two) in the sport.
The 7.3 fWAR that Wheeler posted in 2021 has only been topped by three Phillies in the last 50 years, two of whom are in the Hall of Fame:
Wheeler is the first Phillie since 2018 to be a finalist for the NL Cy Young Award, as his current teammate Aaron Nola finished third in voting that season. The late Roy Halladay remains the last Phillie to capture the NL Cy Young Award, as the Hall of Famer won it in 2010.
MORE FROM PHILLIES NATION
- Mock Offseason 1.0: Phillies Address Most Needs, But Still Need To Go Over The Luxury Tax Threshold
- Phillies Dipping Toes Into Shortstop Market, But May Only Be Secondary Players
- What Free Agents Could The Phillies Sign Without Giving Up Draft Compensation?
- Veteran MLB Writer Predicts Phillies Will Sign Michael Conforto, Kenley Jansen
- Bryce Harper’s Top 5 Home Runs Of 2021
- After Opting Out, Could Nick Castellanos Be A Target Of The Phillies?
- Add Chris Taylor To List Of Potential Free-Agent Targets For Phillies
- Why The Marlins Could Be An Even Bigger Problem For The Phillies In 2022
- J.T. Realmuto Could Have Been A Pro Athlete In Many Sports, According To His Former Coaches
- Phillies 2021 Walk-Up Songs