The Philadelphia Phillies announced Tuesday that they have signed Cam Bedrosian, Andrew Bellatti, Tyler Cyr, Joe Gatto, Michael Kelly and Jake Newberry to minor-league deals. All six players are right-handed pitchers and have also received an invite to big league spring training.
Bedrosian, 30, is the son of former Phillies pitcher and 1987 Cy Young Award winner Steve Bedrosian. He finished the 2021 season on the Phillies major league roster and gave up five earned runs in 10 1/3 innings pitched for the Phillies.
Among the other five right-handed pitchers, Bellatti and Newberry have big league experience.
Bellatti, 30, was drafted by the Tampa Bay Rays in the 12th round of the 2009 MLB draft. A majority of his big league innings come from his time with the Rays in 2015, where he posted a 2.31 ERA in 17 games. After a few spring training invites and a stint in the Atlantic League, Bellatti returned to the majors in 2021 and pitched 3 1/3 innings as a member of the Miami Marlins. In November 2010, Bellatti was sentenced to eight months in jail for his role in a fatal crash that killed a 50-year-old man and injured a 17-year-old passenger.
Newberry, 27, has a career 4.84 ERA in 70 2/3 innings pitched with the Kansas City Royals from 2018 to 2021.
Cyr, 28, has a 2.99 ERA in six seasons in the minor leagues. He posted a 4.91 ERA in 36 2/3 innings with Triple-A Sacramento in 2021. He’s currently playing in the Dominican Winter League for Gigantes del Cibao.
Gatto, 26, is a native of South Jersey. Not to be confused with Joe Gatto from Impractical Jokers, he posted a 3.32 ERA in 59 2/3 innings pitched between Double-A Frisco and Triple-A Round Rock as a member of the Texas Rangers organization.
Kelly, 29, posted a 2.70 ERA in 50 innings between Double-A Corpus Christi and Triple-A Sugar Land in the Houston Astros organization. A former 2011 Padres draftee, Kelly has spent eight years in the minor leagues.
Teams are allowed to sign players to minor-league deals during the owner-imposed lockout.
MORE FROM PHILLIES NATION
- How Much Space Will The Phillies Have Under The Luxury Tax Threshold Once Owner-Imposed Lockout Ends?
- 7 Players The Phillies Could Attempt To Swap Didi Gregorius’ Contract For
- Here’s A Draft Proposal That Could Really Benefit The Phillies
- Nationals Reportedly Sign Maikel Franco To MiLB Deal
- 9 Options Phillies Could Still Consider In Free Agency To Bolster Bullpen
- Would (And Should) The Phillies Consider Trade Offers For Aaron Nola?
- Phillies Would Be Wise To Make A Run At Seiya Suzuki
- It Sounds Like Corey Knebel Is The Phillies’ Next Closer
- Phillies Rumors: Kyle Schwarber’s Asking Price Reportedly Revealed
- Freddy Galvis Reportedly Will Play In Japan In 2022