More than 40 years ago, Sixers small forward Julius “Dr. J” Erving, Eagles quarterback Ron “Jaws” Jaworski, Flyers goaltender Pete Peeters and Phillies reliever Tug McGraw posed for a photo at the Art Museum for a January 1981 magazine shoot.
It’s an iconic image that celebrates a season in which all four major Philadelphia sports teams reached the finals in their respective sport. For years, fans have clamored for current sports stars at the time to recreate the photo.
Phillies star right fielder Bryce Harper is down to represent the Phillies in a possible next generation redux of the photo. Harper reposted the picture with the caption “I’m feeling this!” on his Instagram story after fans suggested that he recreate the photo with Sixers center Joel Embiid, Eagles quarterback Jalen Hurts and Flyers goaltender Carter Hart.
The reigning National League MVP is an excellent choice to step in for the late Phillies closer McGraw, unless you believe a pitcher should be the Phillies representative. In that case, Zack Wheeler is the best choice considering that the Phillies lack a star reliever in the backend of the bullpen. Embiid, Hurts and Hart are the obvious choices for the Sixers, Eagles and Flyers.
Hopefully, Harper is serious about this and urges the other three teams to make something happen quickly. He’ll have to wait for the lockout to end to get the Phillies involved since league policies prohibit club employees from contacting players that are members of the players union.
For now, Harper is doing what all of us are doing: Cheering on the Eagles, tolerating the Sixers and Flyers and wondering when the MLB lockout is going to end.
MORE FROM PHILLIES NATION
- ‘Forever grateful’ for Phillies fans, Roman Quinn is running at a blazing speed again
- 2006 Ryan Howard and 2021 Bryce Harper: Two MVPs with torrid second halves
- Phil Gosselin Loved His Time In Philadelphia; Is Determined To Continue MLB Career
- Curt Schilling Explains Why, If Elected, He’d Like To Go Into The HOF As A Diamondback
- 2022 ZiPS Projections Released For Bryce Harper, Aaron Nola & More
- Phillies Have Few Realistic Options Available In Center Field
- Larry Bowa On Bobby Abreu: ‘Eventually, This Guy Should Be In The Hall Of Fame’
- The Phillies Barely Stayed Under The Luxury Tax Threshold In 2021
- These 10 Players Have Made The Most Money As Phillies
- What Former Phillies Are Still Free Agents?