Phillies Wall of Famer Juan Samuel has landed a coaching job in the Cincinnati Reds’ minor league system, according to Jon Heyman of Audacy Sports.
A fan favorite, Samuel, 61, spent seven seasons with the Phillies as a player from 1983 to 1989. During his time in Philadelphia, he made two All-Star teams and slashed .263/.310/.439 with 100 home runs, 413 RBIs and 249 stolen bases. He was inducted into the Phillies Wall of Fame in 2008.
Samuel returned to the organization in 2011 as the team’s third base coach under Charlie Manuel after serving as interim manager for the Baltimore Orioles in 2010. He served on both Ryne Sandberg and Pete Mackanin’s staff through 2017. He was interviewed for the team’s managerial opening after Mackanin was let go, but the Phillies hired Gabe Kapler.
Samuel has been seeking a coaching gig since his last season with the Phillies. In a story from The Athletic in 2020, Samuel expressed a bit of surprise that not many clubs at the time had interest in hiring him.
“The kind of guys they’re looking for … for some reason you’re labeled as ‘old school,’ which I don’t think I am,” Samuel told Meghan Montemurro. “I think I’ve been able to adjust. But I’m staying positive. Hopefully something will happen at some point before I go hang it up, and I get another shot.”
MORE FROM PHILLIES NATION
- ‘Forever grateful’ for Phillies fans, Roman Quinn is running at a blazing speed again
- 2006 Ryan Howard and 2021 Bryce Harper: Two MVPs with torrid second halves
- Phil Gosselin Loved His Time In Philadelphia; Is Determined To Continue MLB Career
- Curt Schilling Explains Why, If Elected, He’d Like To Go Into The HOF As A Diamondback
- 2022 ZiPS Projections Released For Bryce Harper, Aaron Nola & More
- Phillies Have Few Realistic Options Available In Center Field
- Larry Bowa On Bobby Abreu: ‘Eventually, This Guy Should Be In The Hall Of Fame’
- The Phillies Barely Stayed Under The Luxury Tax Threshold In 2021
- These 10 Players Have Made The Most Money As Phillies
- What Former Phillies Are Still Free Agents?