The buzz around Nick Castellanos continues in Philadelphia.
The Phillies are “in serious pursuit” of signing the free-agent slugger, according to a Friday report by The Athletic‘s Jayson Stark. This followed a report from MLB Network‘s Jon Morosi on Thursday signaling the Phillies’ interest, even after signing Kyle Schwarber.
As Stark noted, inking Castellanos would take the Phillies over the luxury tax threshold for the first time in franchise history. Due to that reason, Schwarber and his four-year, $79 million contract appeared to be the last big-ticket acquisition the team would make before the season starts.
But according to Stark, the Phillies seem to believe Castellanos provides enough value to warrant additional spending.
Castellanos, a DH/outfielder type, became an All-Star and Silver Slugger last year with the Reds in his ninth major-league season. He batted .309/.362/.576 with 34 home runs in 138 games.
The 30-year-old also has a connection to the current Phillies front office. Phillies president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski was the general manager in Detroit when the Tigers selected Castellanos with the 44th overall pick in the 2010 draft and through the right-handed hitter’s first three seasons in the bigs.
Castellanos is a career .278/.329/.486 hitter with 168 homers since making his debut in 2013.
MORE FROM PHILLIES NATION
- What Could The Phillies Do Next After Signing Kyle Schwarber
- Zack Wheeler Had Shoulder Soreness In December; Says It’s Nothing Concerning
- Gregg Murphy Will See Expanded Role On Phillies Radio Network In 2022
- Sean Rodriguez Joins Phillies Player Development Staff
- Through 3 Years, Who Has Been Better — Bryce Harper Or Manny Machado
- Homegrown Phillies Who Were Drafted By Other Teams But Didn’t Sign
- Apparently The Pirates Once Offered Barry Bonds In A Trade To The Phillies
- Bryce Harper Is Within Striking Distance Of A Home Run Milestone
- Who Were The Best Hitting Pitchers To Play For The Phillies?
- This 2001 Top 10 Phillies Prospects List Is A Sight To Behold