NEW YORK — Didi Gregorius (left knee sprain) could begin a rehab assignment next Tuesday in Lehigh Valley. He’s currently at Lehigh Valley for the purposes of getting on the field to take batting practice. Joe Girardi said they will monitor Gregorius’ progress with the hope that he will play in minor league games on Tuesday.
The Phillies shortstop has not played in a game since May 4. In 65 plate appearances in 2022, Gregorius is slashing .288/.338/.356.
What’s the plan with Bailey Falter?
The Phillies, according to Girardi, do not plan on using a six-man rotation going forward. Bailey Falter was inserted into the rotation on Friday to give his five starters an extra day of rest.
“It was just the one time that I felt that we needed to do it,” Girardi said.
That means Falter, who is not in the rotation, will not make another start. He’s on the roster, but Girardi is not ready to reveal what exactly the plan is for Falter.
“Right now, he’s here with us, but we haven’t decided exactly what we’re going to do.”
- Mickey Moniak (broken hand) is continuing his rehab assignment with Double-A Reading on Saturday night. Girardi is unsure of whether or not Moniak will move to Triple A before his rehab is complete: “I don’t think it really matters where he’s at,” Girardi said.
- With José Alvarado in Triple A, Brad Hand is now the only left handed pitcher in the Phillies bullpen. (Technically, Falter doesn’t count). Girardi doesn’t seemed too concerned about the lack of left handers in his ‘pen. “In today’s game, and especially with the DH, you can bring a lefty and they can flip flop it right away and you’re going to face righties anyway. For right now, I think it’s good. I think we’ll get Alvarado straightened out and we’ll have him back here.”
MORE FROM PHILLIES NATION
- Phillies 2022 Walk-Up Songs
- Phillies Nuggets: How Close Is Alec Bohm To Unlocking His Power?
- Scott Franzke Opens Wednesday’s Broadcast With Touching Intro After Texas School Shooting
- Scott Kingery Assigned To Triple-A Lehigh Valley
- Analyzing Joe Girardi’s Decision-Making In Friday’s Win
- The Numbers Behind The Phillies’ Bizarre Cycle Drought
- For Now, Joe Girardi’s Job Is Reportedly Safe
- The Phillies Really Pulled Off A Once-In-A-Generation Collapse
- ‘That Was Pretty Special’: Brad Miller Reflects On Best Moments With Phillies
- ‘It’s A Moment That I’ll Always Have’: Andrew McCutchen Reflects On HR In First Phillies At-Bat