The Philadelphia Phillies announced their April Minor League Players of the Month on Thursday. Lehigh Valley’s Darick Hall was named Minor League Hitter of the Month. Clearwater’s Andrew Painter and left hander Corey Phelan were named Co-Pitchers of the Month.
Phelan, 19, has not pitched so far this season. He was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin lymphoma in April and according to the Phillies, is currently undergoing treatment in a New York City hospital. He was signed by the club as an undrafted free agent in 2020 out of Harborfields High School in Greenlawn, NY and made his professional debut in the Florida Complex League last season.
The Phillies are recognizing Phelan “for his courage and preserverance as he undergoes treatment.”
Hall, 26, has a 1.046 OPS in 23 games during the month of April with Triple-A Lehigh Valley. He homered nine times during that span and recorded three multi-home run games. If he continues to mash the way he has so far in the early going, Hall should receive some serious consideration for a major league call up.
Painter, 19, is off to an incredible start for Single-A Clearwater. He struck out 30 of the 43 batters he faced in April and allowed only one unearned run. During a start against the Tampa Tarpons on April 23 at BayCare Ballpark, Painter struck out 13 consecutive batters.
Phillies farm director Preston Mattingly told Scott Lauber of the Philadelphia Inquirer that there are no plans to promote Painter to High-A Jersey Shore just yet, but that could be something the team could consider later this year if Painter continues to dominant.
MORE FROM PHILLIES NATION
- Phillies 2022 Walk-Up Songs
- ‘That Was Pretty Special’: Brad Miller Reflects On Best Moments With Phillies
- Media Review: ESPN’s New Sunday Night Baseball Booth, In-Game Interviews
- Sam Fuld Talks Decision To Demote Bryson Stott To Triple A
- Is There Value In Going Ballistic On An Umpire? Joe Girardi Weighs In.
- 2021 First-Round Pick Andrew Painter Strikes Out 13 Consecutive Batters For Single-A Clearwater
- ‘It’s A Moment That I’ll Always Have’: Andrew McCutchen Reflects On HR In First Phillies At-Bat
- Nick Castellanos Talks Supporting Alec Bohm After 3-Error Game: ‘I Didn’t Want Him To Feel Alone’
- What’s The Latest On JoJo Romero’s Recovery From Tommy John Surgery?
- For Now, Alec Bohm Will Have To Play Third Base. But Is There A Long-Term Fit?