Scott Kingery (shoulder surgery) has been assigned to the Triple-A Lehigh Valley IronPigs. He was rehabbing his shoulder at the Carpenter Complex in Clearwater, Fla. The 28-year-old underwent season-ending shoulder surgery to repair a torn labrum in July 2021. He hasn’t played in a minor league game since June 26, 2021.
Kingery, 28, should have the chance to fight his way back onto the major league roster with a strong showing in Lehigh Valley. The former second-round pick in 2015 was outrighted off the 40-man roster in June 2021 after some prolonged struggles at the big league level.
Perhaps he’ll get the chance to man center field in a platoon role later this season, which continues to be a struggle for the Phillies. Matt Vierling was optioned to Lehigh Valley after batting .170 in 47 at-bats this season. Mickey Moniak (broken hand) is not quite ready to begin a rehab assignment. Odúbel Herrera, for now, appears to be the Phillies’ go-to option in center. Roman Quinn has made some starts at the position, but he’s mostly been used as a defensive replacement and pinch runner.
More importantly, Kingery has to prove in Lehigh Valley that he’s both healthy and that his swing troubles that have derailed his major league career are behind him.
2023 is the last guaranteed year of Kingery’s six-year, $24 million contract he signed before the 2018 season.
MORE FROM PHILLIES NATION
- Phillies 2022 Walk-Up Songs
- Analyzing Joe Girardi’s Decision-Making In Friday’s Win
- The Numbers Behind The Phillies’ Bizarre Cycle Drought
- For Now, Joe Girardi’s Job Is Reportedly Safe
- The Phillies Really Pulled Off A Once-In-A-Generation Collapse
- ‘That Was Pretty Special’: Brad Miller Reflects On Best Moments With Phillies
- Phillies Honor Minor League Pitcher Who Is Battling Cancer
- Media Review: ESPN’s New Sunday Night Baseball Booth, In-Game Interviews
- 2021 First-Round Pick Andrew Painter Strikes Out 13 Consecutive Batters For Single-A Clearwater
- ‘It’s A Moment That I’ll Always Have’: Andrew McCutchen Reflects On HR In First Phillies At-Bat