It appears that Bryce Harper is well on his way to advancing to the next round of voting in MLB All-Star balloting. He’s the top vote-getter among all National League designated hitters and has accumulated the third-highest vote total among all NL players with 1,059,433 tallies through the first ballot update. He’s one of only six players in MLB this year to eclipse one million votes.
Harper, 29, is a six-time All-Star, but has not appeared in the Midsummer Classic since his last season with the Nationals back in 2018. While it helps that Harper is just one of only a few full-time designated hitters in the National League, he has performed like an All-Star so far at the plate. He leads all National League hitters in slugging percentage (.622) and his 1.013 OPS is second only to Paul Goldschmidt.
If the first round of voting ended today, Harper would face off against the Braves’ William Contreras to determine who will start at designated hitter for the National League.
The first round of All-Star voting ends on Thursday, June 30 at 2:00 p.m. ET. The top two vote-getters at each position in both leagues, along with the top six outfielders, will advance to the final round of voting to determine who starts at each position at the 2022 All-Star Game at Dodger Stadium on July 19. The top vote-getter of the first round in both leagues among all position players will automatically be elected to the All-Star Game as a starter. Pitchers and reserve players are voted on through a combination of player ballots and votes from the Commissioner’s Office. Vote totals reset in the second round.
Here are the various vote totals for Phillies position players who are among the top ten (top 20 for outfielders) in votes at their respective positions.
- Bryce Harper — 1st at DH – 1,059,433
- Kyle Schwarber — 14th at OF — 223,912
- Didi Gregorius — 6th at SS — 157,352
- Nick Castellanos — 20th at OF — 136,385
- J.T. Realmuto — 7th at C — 127,881
- Jean Segura — 7th at 2B — 105,669
- Alec Bohm — 9th at 3B — 56,385
MORE FROM PHILLIES NATION
- Phillies 2022 Walk-Up Songs
- Before His Walk-Off, Rhys Hoskins And His Wife Jayme ‘Went Yard’ For MDA
- Bryce Harper On Trea Turner: ‘I’m Excited To See Where He Goes Next Year’
- Bake McBride, Ron Reed To Be Inducted Onto Phillies Wall Of Fame
- Yes, Rob Thomson Has Taken Notice Of ‘Twitter Machine’ Logan O’Hoppe
- Bryce Harper On Clubhouse Under Rob Thomson: ‘It’s A Different Vibe’
- Executive Believe Phillies Will Target Star SS After 2022 Season
- New Phillies 2022 Promotions Include Mike Schmidt Ring, Nick Castellanos T-Shirt
- Jim Leyland Didn’t Replace Joe Girardi For A Variety Of Reasons
- Takeaways From Dave Dombrowski, Rob Thomson Press Conference