The Phillies optioned outfielder Mickey Moniak to Triple-A Lehigh Valley and selected the contract of infielder Yairo Muñoz prior to Tuesday’s game against the Miami Marlins.
Interim manager Rob Thomson cited the fact that the Phillies are facing a string of left-handed starters and preferred to have another right-handed bat in Yairo Muñoz.
“We just want him to go down, get his swing back, start staying on the ball, using the field. He’s pulling off a little bit and he knows that,” Thomson said about Moniak. “Mickey is a big part of this club. I talk about the energy the kids bring and he’s one of them. Always plays good defense. Always runs the bases. Always works hard. He’s a big part of this club now and in the future.”
To make room for Muñoz on the 40-man roster, the Phillies transferred infielder Jean Segura (fractured hand) to the 60-day injured list. The move does not affect Segura’s recovery timetable as he’s expected to be out until September.
Muñoz, 27, slashed .319/.345/.454 with five home runs and 22 RBIs in 45 games with Triple-A Lehigh Valley. He’s starting at second base and batting eighth in Tuesday’s game against left-handed pitcher Trevor Rogers.
- The Phillies expect Corey Knebel (shoulder) to be available out of the bullpen tonight. He participated in pitcher fielding practice with the rest of the bullpen before the game. Knebel has not pitched since June 10. He felt his right shoulder tighten up while warming up in the bullpen in the eighth inning on Saturday against the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Left-handed pitcher JoJo Romero (Tommy John surgery) began a rehab assignment in rookie ball with the Florida Coast League Phillies. Ryan Sherriff (left shoulder strain) had his rehab assignment transferred from Clearwater to Reading.
- Johan Camargo (right knee strain) went through a full workout on Tuesday. He’s two days away from being eligible to come off the injured list.
MORE FROM PHILLIES NATION
- Phillies 2022 Walk-Up Songs
- Bryce Harper On Trea Turner: ‘I’m Excited To See Where He Goes Next Year’
- Yes, Rob Thomson Has Taken Notice Of ‘Twitter Machine’ Logan O’Hoppe
- Bryce Harper On Clubhouse Under Rob Thomson: ‘It’s A Different Vibe’
- Executive Believe Phillies Will Target Star SS After 2022 Season
- New Phillies 2022 Promotions Include Mike Schmidt Ring, Nick Castellanos T-Shirt
- Jim Leyland Didn’t Replace Joe Girardi For A Variety Of Reasons
- Takeaways From Dave Dombrowski, Rob Thomson Press Conference
- Bryce Harper Gives Honest Thoughts On Firing Of Joe Girardi
- Watch: Rhys Hoskins Tries To Persuade Mike Trout To Run On J.T. Realmuto