Final Score: Phillies 3, Marlins 2
The Philadelphia Phillies struggled to figure out Miami Marlins’ ace Sandy Alcántara through 7 2/3 innings, but tied the game on the first pitch after he exited the game and won it in walk-off fashion in the bottom of the ninth inning.
After Alcántara induced a double play off the bat of J.T. Realmuto in the bottom of the eighth inning, Miami Marlins’ manager Don Mattingly made a pitching change, with his workhorse having thrown 113 pitches.
While it seemed like a good idea of bring in lefty Steven Okert to face Didi Gregorius with a runner on third base and two outs, the decision immediately backfired, with the Phillies tying the game on an RBI single.
An inning later, Matt Vierling — making his first major league start at third base — stole second with two outs. That proved crucial, as Rhys Hoskins drove him in just moments later, giving the Phillies a series-opening victory over the Marlins:
RHYS COMES THROUGH TO WIN IT pic.twitter.com/cqhJsTJfCk— Phillies Nation (@PhilliesNation) June 14, 2022
With the win, the Phillies improve to 31-30, and 9-1 since Rob Thomson took over as interim manager. Meanwhile, the Marlins fall to 27-32.
The Phillies will continue their series with the Marlins Tuesday night, with Zach Eflin slated to get the ball against the Fish.
Thomson, Mattingly Go Way Back
Phillies interim manager Rob Thomson and Marlins’ skipper Don Mattingly have known each other for quite some time. The two worked on Joe Torre’s staff with the New York Yankees from 2004-2007.
“He was a hitting coach and I was like, the original fifth or sixth coach, whatever you want to call it,” Thomson said Monday afternoon. “Joe Torre brought me up to be kind of a major league field coordinator, and Donnie was there. Donnie and I are very close. I have an extreme amount of respect for him, as a person, a manager, a player. He’s done a great job over there, I like Donnie a lot.”
The Yankees and Torre parted ways after the 2007 season, with the Hall of Fame manager declining to take the pay cut offered by the late-George Steinbrenner.
Mattingly interviewed for the Yankees’ managerial gig after Torre left, but it of course ended up going to Joe Girardi. Thomson remained in New York after being promoted to bench coach ahead of the 2008 season. Mattingly would spend parts of three seasons as the hitting coach for the Los Angeles Dodgers under Torre, before serving as his successor as the team’s skipper.
Now in his seventh season as the manager of the Marlins, Mattingly expressed happiness that Thomson is getting a shot to manage, but disappointment that it came only after Girardi was fired:
- Sandy Alcántara is competing with Joe Musgrove and Zack Wheeler to start the All-Star Game for the National League, and he strengthened his case Monday night. The 26-year-old went 7 2/3 strong innings, allowing six hits and two runs. Alcántara leads baseball with 91 1/3 innings pitched, and has taken over the NL lead among pitchers with a 2.4 fWAR.
- Aaron Nola turned in a strong performance against the Marlins, limiting them to six hits and two runs over seven innings, while striking out six batters. The 29-year-old has a 3.42 ERA, 3.09 FIP and 2.0 fWAR in 13 starts. He’s definitely a candidate to return to the All-Star Game for the first time since 2018.
Ticket IQ Next Game
- Tuesday, June 13 vs. Marlins at Citizens Bank Park
- 7:05 p.m. ET
- TV: NBC Sports Philadelphia
- Radio: SportsRadio 94 WIP
MORE FROM PHILLIES NATION
- Phillies 2022 Walk-Up Songs
- Bryce Harper On Trea Turner: ‘I’m Excited To See Where He Goes Next Year’
- Yes, Rob Thomson Has Taken Notice Of ‘Twitter Machine’ Logan O’Hoppe
- Bryce Harper On Clubhouse Under Rob Thomson: ‘It’s A Different Vibe’
- Executive Believe Phillies Will Target Star SS After 2022 Season
- New Phillies 2022 Promotions Include Mike Schmidt Ring, Nick Castellanos T-Shirt
- Jim Leyland Didn’t Replace Joe Girardi For A Variety Of Reasons
- Takeaways From Dave Dombrowski, Rob Thomson Press Conference
- Bryce Harper Gives Honest Thoughts On Firing Of Joe Girardi
- Watch: Rhys Hoskins Tries To Persuade Mike Trout To Run On J.T. Realmuto