2007 NL EAST CHAMPION PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES – Phillies Nation
Posts

2007 NL EAST CHAMPION PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES

THEY DID IT!  The Phillies are in the playoffs!!  They won the National League East Division crown!!!

On Saturday the Phils looked nervous and clumsy, but today was a different story all together.  Everyone contributed, everyone did their part – the starter, the bullpen, the offense, the defense, the manager – everyone.  Jamie Moyer pitched a masterful five-and-a-third innings, allowing just a single run while striking out six Nationals.  Charlie Manuel wisely brought in Tom Gordon who promptly served up an inning ending double-play.  He was followed by the amazing J.C. Romero and his paltry 1.24 ERA, and then it was Brett Myers who punched the playoff ticket with a nasty breaking ball.

Offensively, the Phillies used small ball to build a lead that was eventually punctuated by a Ryan Howard bomb in the seventh.   Howard finishes the season with 47 homers, 136 RBIs and a strikeout short of 200.  However the real story is Jimmy Rollins – the guy who talks the talk and walks the walk.  He led off the game with a single, two stolen bases and ultimately a 1-0 Phillies lead.  He’s been both the spark and the fuel to the Phillies 2007 season.  Here’s a quick look at his season highlights:

• 716 at bats (MLB record) over a full 162 games
  • 137 runs scored (1st in NL, 2nd in MLB)
  • 212 hits (2nd in NL, 4th in MLB)
  • Fourth player in MLB history with at least 20 home runs, 20 triples, 20 doubles, and 20 stolen bases
  • .296 batting average, .344 on-base percentage, .531 slugging percentage

Of course JRoll has a serious case for Most Valuable Player of the National League.  Last year the debate surrounding Ryan Howard’s MVP-candidacy focused on whether or not his obscene numbers outweighed the fact that the Phillies did not make the playoffs.  This year however, the Phillies are in the playoffs (!) and although Rollins didn’t put up astonishing numbers his consistent over-achieving from the leadoff spot deserves recognition.  I’d almost say Rollins has a better case for the award than Howard did last year.

Then there’s his swagger…or as he puts it, “If you can’t walk around with swag, don’t walk around.”  We all recall his comments in January saying, “We’re the team to beat.”  Then he reiterated the statement just prior to the season, which incensed the Mets.  “The Phillies, they can come out and talk as much as they want,” David Wright said. “Until they prove it on the field, then it’s just talk. As far as throwing out predictions and talking about it, talk is very, very cheap.”  Well guess what, David, they proved it.  Same for you Paul LoDuca, Mr. I-didn’t-think-getting-swept-by-the-Phillies-was-a-big-deal.  Witnessing the monumental collapse by the New York Mets – a 7 game lead with 17 to play – only adds to this ecstasy.  They were cocky, over-confident and I believe it was Carlos Delgado who said, “We’re so good, we sometimes get bored.”  Yea, I bet it’s real boring not playing baseball in October.  Hopefully, the stigma of the ’64 Phillies will now be transferred to the ’07 Mets.  If you want to start the ball rolling, feel free to leave some “choke” comments on our favorite Mets blogs.

Finally, as we party tonight on Broad Street, Cottman and Frankford, or anywhere around the world, enjoy it and be safe, because tomorrow the real season begins. Ya gotta believe.  GO PHILS!

Click to comment

1. Frank

September 30, 2007 at 5:44 pm

Aaaaaah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A great achievement for a great club.

Do not mark down Charlie either. He got it done. The guy does present many game day conundrums- BUT players play for him. Every time things looks bleak: last year’s fire sale, this year’s start, injuries, the bullpen follies- Charlie got’em to the ball park ready to play.

2. hoey

September 30, 2007 at 5:45 pm

OH MY GOD!!!!
    It’s not just that the Phillies won,
    but that the Mets collapsed that makes this moment soooooo friggin sweet!

I hope they start chanting P-H-I-L-L-I-E-S, PHILLIES!!!! at Eagles games now.

3. Frank

September 30, 2007 at 5:52 pm

Dear Modell’s,

Please prepare the giant Phillies jersey for William Penn,

Sincerely,
    Philadelphia

4. Brian

September 30, 2007 at 6:21 pm

I still can’t believe it. I’ve been waiting 14 years for the Phillies to make me so proud and happy to be a phan. This team never gave up and that’s something we all love in this town.

Go Phils, take it all down!

5. Pat

September 30, 2007 at 6:26 pm

Now THAT was amazin’….

I admit it – I was a doubter. I didn’t think that Charlie could keep the team together. I didn’t think that Moyer’s old arm could last the year. I thought that Howard would have a down year and Burrell was toast. And that bullpen, who could feel confident with their early record?

I’m glad that I was sooo wrong. What a great game today! Everybody did what they were supposed to do. Charlie made all the right moves, even in the game they lost on Saturday. and the Phillies won! It felt like 1993 all over again. Whatever they do in the playoffs will be icing on the cake.

Let’s go PHILS!!!

6. Kevin McGuire

September 30, 2007 at 6:29 pm

Forget the Phillies jersey for William Penn. It’s all about the giant Phillies hat!

7. Joe

September 30, 2007 at 6:42 pm

Doesn’t Howard Eskin owe Charlie Manuel an apology on the air ?

8. Al

September 30, 2007 at 6:42 pm

I don’t believe yet. I’m still in a state of shock. We actually pulled this one out!!! GO PHILS!

9. metfan

September 30, 2007 at 7:05 pm

I’m a Met’s fan…

Best of luck in the playoffs guys, you certainly earned it.

10. chele

September 30, 2007 at 7:42 pm

Oh. My. GAWD!!!!! I was so very tired of having my heart broken at the end of the baseball season that I refused to even discuss the possibility of reaching the post-season. And now they’ve proven everyone wrong (except Jimmy Rollins, who just shut up and played ball to back up what he said in January) and I can’t be more excited!!!!!!! You could hear half of my block yelling and cheering at the end of today’s game 🙂 🙂 🙂

I’ve been waiting for this since 1993 – and I get to share it with my baby sister who has literally waited her whole life! (She was born in the spring of ’94!)

THANK YOU PHILLIES!!!!!!!!

11. Adam

September 30, 2007 at 8:17 pm

Mets fan here … you guys deserve it. Congrats.

12. mike1360

September 30, 2007 at 9:31 pm

Well me and Mr Eskin came face to face on Pattison Ave tonight and i said remember i called you from yankees stadium in june and predicted yanks/phils world series and mentioned my radio show on Wnjc and invited him to tune in i wonder if he did but finally after 14 years Nl east champs . Also Thursday we will be having a party starting at 4pm from the linc parking lot don’t miss it with a live broadcast at 6pm on Wnjc 1360.

13. Anthony De Rosa

September 30, 2007 at 9:40 pm

Congrats, well deserved. The Phillies played their asses off in September and earned it fair and square. I’m sick of the Braves, lets hope this Philly/Mets rivalry continues for awhile.

…and thanks for the link. 😉

Anthony De Rosa
    HotFootBlog.com

14. sydney

September 30, 2007 at 10:04 pm

i’m a mets fan too.
    congratulations to the phillies on playing extremely well and winning the division.

however, jimmy rollins is still a jackass.
    and i have to root for the rockies.
    they deserve it more than anyone.

15. metfan

September 30, 2007 at 10:25 pm

at least the giants won, mcnabb looked like matt leinart tonight!!!!

Seriously congrats, you guys earned it good luck in the playoffs.

16. Willie Randolph

September 30, 2007 at 11:51 pm

I encourage all Met fans, once again, to become Yankee fans for the post-season.

17. Brian

October 1, 2007 at 12:20 am

In November of 1993, a new puppy was born and I gave him to my future wife. Even though she objected, I won the battle to name him “Nails”. Nails was with us for all of the watershed moments of our lives. Our college graduations. Our wedding. The purchase of our home. The birth of of our children. The only thing he did not get to see during his lifetime was Phillies post season baseball.

Since we live in CA (I moved as a kid in 1982), I have had a very difficult explaining the name “Nails” to everyone who asked “why is his name nails?”. During this 14 year playoff drought, the number of strange looks we got when I explained his name are too numerous to count.

Anyway, when Nails passed away on September 20th, he was buried with his beloved Phillies throw blanket that he had slept on for his entire life. I told everyone that I knew that the spirit of Nails would deliver the Phils to the promised land (a world series title) and this is just the first step in the journey.

So sit back and enjoy the ride. A higher power is at work, and the Phils will win the World Series!!

God speed, Nails!!

18. brad

October 1, 2007 at 12:49 am

truly the greatest season of all seasons. i cannot recall a season as magical as the 2007 baseball season(altho i lived at the Vet in 1993 and that is a close 2nd). to have the beloved Fightins’ take the NL East on the last day of the season is truly wonderful. nothing short of amazing. in the words of the immortal Tugger, “Ya gotta believe!!”

19. Anthony De Rosa

October 1, 2007 at 2:38 am

Contrary to what many would love to believe is true, most true die hard Mets fans like myself would sooner chop off both their arms before rooting for the Yankees.

If I am going to get beat, I’d like to get beat by the best.

I can’t bring myself to actually root for you guys, especially with my wounds still fresh, but we both share a fondness for the late great Tug McGraw, so I can say this…

Ya gotta believe.

20. Phillygirl

October 1, 2007 at 2:43 am

Congrats Phils! I love J-Roll! Wishing you the very best! See you in the World Series! Go Phillies!

21. NateB

October 1, 2007 at 2:59 am

What a season it’s been! I never stopped believing… 11 more wins to go!!!!!!!!!!!

22. GregM

October 1, 2007 at 5:56 am

Man have we been waiting a long time for this! We’ve been left at the altar so many times as Phillies fans that this feels especially good, and the Mets collapse makes it even better! The Fightin Phils are in baby! J Rol is MVP!

Now – how do we get one of those Phillies playoff hats the team had on in the locker room after the game? I need one of those lids to remember this crazy year!

23. MDefl

October 1, 2007 at 10:28 am

What, no Mookie?

24. Tommy Dee

October 1, 2007 at 2:46 pm

Let me reiterate what my colleague Anthony De Rosa said.

Congrats to the Phillies, frankly, their reluctance to quit made them fun to watch. Can’t say i’m rooting for them in the playoffs but they were the better team than the Mets down the stretch.

The Mets core is still in tact and we’ll be back next year for another year of exciting September baseball.

Tommy Dee

25. bobby

October 1, 2007 at 3:09 pm

Where to start? This run has been fantastic and there are more thoughts and emotions than anyone can express. Just amazing.

I was at the ballpark yesterday, top row in right field, section 303. Best seats in the house! I don’t think I sat down once. When that final strike crossed the plate, like everyone else in the house, I whooped it up and waved that towel. Then I stopped and just took it all in. My hands cupped over my mouth, I just watched the joy and giddiness below and all around. Without much warning, tears began rolling down my face. Not because I live for the Phils, or for sports in general. But my father was a true diehard. An old-schooler who lived through the Whiz Kids and the ’64 collapse, as well as saw the early spark of Ryan Howard and Chase Utley. I can recall him taking me to Connie Mack Stadium to see working class heroes like Callison, Money, and Bunning.

My Dad died a year ago June, and it just hit me very hard at that moment how much he would have enjoyed all this. So there I was with craziness all around and I’m standing there crying. A guy two seats away, who I’ve never seen before, high-fives me and says “I can see it in your eyes.” Then a big hug and pat on the back.

This was really magic in many ways. Go Phils, and thank you for making this a season to remember!

26. JDM

October 1, 2007 at 3:59 pm

Woo Hoo!!!

So many years of near miss frustration, flushed away with the fine champaign & beers.

But, let’s start setting our sites on the business at hand. Rockies or Padres, they’re going to be tough. Hamels, Kendrick, Lohse, Moyer (if necessary?)

Eaton rides the pine for the rest of the year.

27. mike1360

October 1, 2007 at 5:01 pm

Attention Phils fans this weds. i will be out and about in the parking lots lookin to put you on the radio so if your goin to the game you will see me around for 1360am wnjc for more info visit myspace.com/radiostar2007.

28. Sean P.

October 1, 2007 at 5:39 pm

What happened to that post link that was on earlier?? It had a link to a website that had a mets N.L East championship shirt – way to funny.

29. Mike

October 1, 2007 at 6:37 pm

Feel free to leave some “choke” comments on our favorite Mets blogs? Real classy. Loser.

30. Clement G

October 1, 2007 at 9:04 pm

I loved the Phils every since I began watching them with my grand-pop in the late sixties. And let me say, the early seventies were some tough times. When they won it all in 1980, I was away at college in Pittsburgh. That night I called my grand-pop to say,”Grandpop, they finally won!” He replied,”Their still BUMS,” remembering the 1964 Phils. But let me tell you, my grandpop was soooo happy to see the Phils win in his lifetime and I was happy for him. It was great when they made it to the world series in 1983, they didn’t win but we weren’t disappointed, we were still a buzz from 1980. My grand-pop died in 1989, so he didn’t get a chance to see the 1993 Phils, he would of loved that team. The point that I am trying to make is enjoy this victory. There is only one world series champion every year. Share these memories with your loved ones. And root your a** off for the Fight’in Phils!!!!! Go Phils!!!!! Worls Series Champs!!!

31. TheTeamToBeat

October 1, 2007 at 10:51 pm

Here is the link again. The product description is classic. The Mets were clearly not worthy of the playoffs. I love it.

32. TheTeamToBeat

October 1, 2007 at 10:56 pm

Given what happened with the way they lost their cool on Saturday I’m sorry but the Mets deserved what came to them on Sunday. With the exception of Wright and a few others The Mets were never classy. All of the other teams in the East that made the playoffs are classy. My hats off to all of them. Lets enjoy this run. We have a team that America can get behind.

33. Anthony De Rosa

October 3, 2007 at 9:34 am

I think both teams have some growing up to do. Neither of them was very ‘classy’ in terms of how they carried themselves. The Phillies have an admitted wife beater on their team, so glass houses and all…

34. whtbullitt

October 7, 2007 at 3:03 pm

who choked now? phillies suck and they proved how bad they are in the playoffs. whoopie doo they won the division, they didnt even show up for the NLDS. sorry phillie phans lol, but your team still sucks, will always suck. 10,000+ losses and counting, pathetic.

35. matt

October 16, 2007 at 11:06 pm

amazing phillies ive been wait for this moment!!! we won

36. matt

October 16, 2007 at 11:19 pm

they went through hard training to get this far!!!!