Oh Happy Night! Feliz Leads Phils To Win – Phillies Nation
Posts

Oh Happy Night! Feliz Leads Phils To Win

Pedro Feliz singled in the ninth inning to tie it. Then he stepped up in the 11th with two men on. One swing later, and all three were home. The Phillies won off Feliz’s home run, taking game three of the four-game set with the Dodgers 5-2.

Feliz came into the game as a pinch hitter in the seventh inning, yet scored four RBI and proved to be the team’s big clutch hitter. Just as important as Feliz’s execution was the setup by Shane Victorino. He singled to lead off the ninth, scoring the tying run on Feliz’s single. Then he singled to left field to open the eleventh, but turned it up while watching Manny Ramirez lazily toss the ball back in, sliding into second with a huge double. He would score the winning run.

Watching Victorino brings up two crucial points.

One: The difference between Vic and Ramirez. The Dodgers obviously will benefit from Ramirez’s offensive prowess, but his ho-hum throw and lazy effort getting thrown out in a clutch double play show he’s still a pretty annoying ballplayer that won’t do everything to win. Meanwhile, Vic hustles to second because he knows he can.

Two: The difference between Vic and Jimmy Rollins. Is Vic becoming the team leader? He hustles, yells and hollers, makes huge plays all the time, sets up big innings. Meanwhile, Rollins is doing more with his mouth than his legs, can’t come up big anytime, and is now hitting a horrendous .255. A far cry from MVP.

Back to the game — Feliz also made a huge play in the 10th. Chad Durbin loaded the bases with nobody out, but induced a chopper that Feliz immediately turned into a textbook 5-2 double play. A fly out ended the threat and inning. Credit Feliz for the big play, but also credit Durbin for seeing his way out of the mess.

A Chase Utley single scored the Phils’ first run, but they had trouble again against Hiroki Kuroda, scoring just two hits off him. Joe Blanton pitched just as well, going six and striking out four while giving up six hits. The Phils bullpen gave up the Dodgers’ go-ahead run, with JC Romero and Ryan Madson combining to do the deed. Brad Lidge kept the Dodgers at bay in the ninth.

Associated Press photo

Click to comment

1. R.Mac

August 25, 2008 at 1:14 am

Hot Teacher: Pedro?!

Johnny Moxon: Pedro.

2. Phil

August 25, 2008 at 2:07 am

I was at work during the game, and I kept sneaking off to check my phone for the score. I watched the game on my phone(I have something like mlb gameday on my phone but even more ghetto.) I got so excited when Feliz tied it up in the bottom of the 9th and I screamed out WELCOME BACK PETE HAPPY! All of these people were looking at me on 2nd and Spruce. It was weird. haha I watched the game the whole way home on the bus and was getting all pissy. Right as I was walked in the door I turned the game on to come back from a commercial and showing Victorino’s double. It was awesome to come home and watch Pedro get that big walk-off home run. I think we woulda won a few more games during that horrid August if he was in the line-up. He’s a much better 7 hole hitter than Bruntlett. WELCOME BACK PEDRO!!!

3. Mark

August 25, 2008 at 4:53 am

Put the goat label on Manny Ramirez. The Dodgers will soon learn why Boston finally let him go.

As for the Phils, shall we get out the brooms and sweep them into 1st place? Let’s see which Brett Myers shows up!

4. Bear Mike

August 25, 2008 at 7:33 am

Great game last night! Jeeze, I am sleep deprived this morning, but it was well werth it. It’s nice to see the Phillies playing so well. Beater on the Bump tonight. A sweep would awesome at this point going into the mini mets series. Hey, I like that………..mini mets :^)

GO PHILLIES!!!!!

5. MA Phanatic

August 25, 2008 at 7:55 am

I think Vic 2008 could be exactly what Rollins was last year for us down the stretch run.

6. Buffalophilsfan

August 25, 2008 at 8:16 am

LEAD OFF VIC.

He is the catalist to this offense right now. Drop JRoll in the order in the 5th or 6th spot. We need Vic on base for the big dogs. Nice to have Pedro back. Clutch when we need it and great D at 3rd. Plus it allows Cholly to have another bullet in the gun with Dobbs coming off the bench. Still can’t understant his subbing for Burrell late when there is a chance for him to hit again. He was taken out as the tying run at 1st base in the 8th?????? So in the middle of the order would not strike fear into the minds of those LL kids from Hawaii much less the Los Angeles Dodgers. Despite Cholly’s misguidedness, this team keeps plugging. Brett tonight gets the sweep. Bring on the Muts!!!!

7. jay

August 25, 2008 at 8:38 am

buffalo… if i recall the muts own you guys you might wanna pray if you think u gonna win buddy

8. Rick

August 25, 2008 at 8:41 am

I don’t see how Charlie can deny Vic the lead-off spot any longer! Vic should be in the lead-off spot tonight. I was saying that during the entire game last night. Especially now that Pat is in his proper 3-hole spot breaking up Chase and Ryan. Tonight’s lineup should be:

Vic, Utley, Burrell, Howard, Werth, Rollins, Pete Happy, Ruiz/Coste, pitcher

“Great game last night! Jeeze, I am sleep deprived this morning, but it was well werth it.” – Ditto!

9. Phil

August 25, 2008 at 8:48 am

I actually understand why he pulled Burrell. If for some reason Howard came up clutch which we all knew he wouldn’t and he hit a double Taguchi could have scored from 1st. Burrell is so slow that said double could have been a single. haha The only time I ever agree with pulling Burrell is in a close game and we need a fast base runner for a potential tie.

10. Buffalophilsfan

August 25, 2008 at 9:43 am

Jay you are right. The Muts own us just like they owned us last Sept. up by 7 with 17 to play. The Phills have the Muts right where they want them. The heat will be turned up again. Their pen is a joke and can implode at any minute. Reyes and his tired act will wear down and Tatis will suddenly remember he is Fernando Tatis. I will give them Santana as an ace, but the rest of those chokers will gag it up again just like last year.

11. Phil

August 25, 2008 at 9:53 am

Now now buffalo…maybe the Muts will get Moises Alou back and he can save the day.

12. Jim D.

August 25, 2008 at 10:01 am

Moises Alou is still alive?

13. Mike

August 25, 2008 at 10:03 am

Maine is all but done for the season. Mets can’t close a game just like they can’t close out on a season. Phils pitching and hitting are finally starting to click. This is historically when the Phils play there best ball. The Biggest test will be the 4 games @ the Cubs.. Could be a NLCS Preview

14. Griffin

August 25, 2008 at 10:12 am

yeah, Maine is just not healthy. That’s a big loss for them. I’m hoping for a win today and a split against the Muts (since they have Johan going and we don’t have Hamels going).

15. Richie

August 25, 2008 at 10:13 am

Listen we cannot just give up on J-Roll, as much as I love Vic and as much as I can’t stand J-Roll right now, if he can’t turn things around to be his normal self, we either don’t make the playoffs, or are outin the first round. He is the catalyst of this team. Vic is hot right now, but when does he cool? We need J-Roll back, we can’t just boo him out of the city.

16. Buffalophilsfan

August 25, 2008 at 10:18 am

I totally agree that we need J-Roll and he should not be boo’d out of town. But he needs to check himself and get right. Dropping him in the order might take some pressure off him and allow him to loosten up a bit. He is gripping it right now and trying too hard. Sometimes a self-check can re-energize guys (ala Myers to the minors). Vic is hot right now and should be at the top of the lineup until J-Roll finds his stroke. Right now he is squeezing that bat handle so tight I think it is going to splinter in his hands.

17. Brian Michael

August 25, 2008 at 10:19 am

There have been many times recently that I’ve considered Victorino for the Ashburn Award. But I always gave it to the guy with the game-winning hit (like last night). I just wanted everyone to know that it’s killing me not to give Vic the award, so consider this comment a tribute to his smart baseball and hard-work over the past couple weeks. He has been awesome.

18. Richie

August 25, 2008 at 10:20 am

I’m thinking about taking the rest of the day off, and heading up to Queens to see if I can join the Mets bullpen. I can’t see myself doing any worse than what they are throwing out there.

19. Julie

August 25, 2008 at 10:29 am

Was Ruiz wearing a rally cap last night? Don’t look now, but this team is showing signs of personality. I like the excitement by Victorino, I like the hustle plays by Howard, and I like the clutch hitting…it’s going to be an exciting rest of the season!

20. Gabriel

August 25, 2008 at 10:40 am

i love the sunday pack… sleep deprivation is totally worth stickin out the extra innings
    the electricity in the park is startin to come back (reminds of the stretch last year). the fans are finally startin to cheer at the appropriate times… lets get it goin phils

21. Asphincter

August 25, 2008 at 10:44 am

Yeah after Vic scored in the ninth and Jimmy came up with two outs, Vic was standing on the steps in the dugout, ready to run onto the field in the case of a walk-off. He just wants to win so badly.

Things that killed me last night: Blanton’s first inning. Though relatively harmless, that was just painful to watch.

So Taguchi. Yeah, I know why Charlie did it. But that one came back to bite.

Jimmy’s 9th Inning AB. He easily could have put the past two weeks behind him with a single.

Howard’s Baserunning. He knew he was the winning run. Rule #1 if you’re the winning run with two outs and you’re not that fast- just don’t get picked off.

22. Asphincter

August 25, 2008 at 10:47 am

Things that didn’t kill me last night: Clutch hits. Despite the very small amount of baserunners, we got three clutch hits when we needed them.

Clutch pitching. Despite plenty of baserunners, the Dodgers didn’t get the clutch hits they needed.

Howard’s D. I had no idea the big man could flash that kind of leather.

Shane Victorino.

23. TJ

August 25, 2008 at 10:59 am

What a weekend.

24. Geoff

August 25, 2008 at 11:06 am

NLCS?? whoooooa there. lets just get them into the playoffs and get past the first round. anything after that is an added bonus. im thinkin about throwin down on some playoff tix if theyre not too expensive. and yknow, theyre not sold out. id like to see them retake the lead this week though.

25. Phil

August 25, 2008 at 11:07 am

Shane Victorino is the fucking man. I would love to see him be our 3rd MVP in a row and then Utley win it next year for #4. If Victorino continues this torrid path down the stretch maybe he can do it for us. Let’s go to CBP and start the MVP chants for Shane.

26. Geoff

August 25, 2008 at 11:11 am

Shane needs a 4-5 year contract extension pronto.

27. Fran

August 25, 2008 at 11:18 am

Feliz na vi da

28. the truth hurts

August 25, 2008 at 11:23 am

wasn’t less than a month ago most of us wanted victorino shipped out of town on the first flight for manny or holliday? how quickly some of us change our tunes when a player proves his worth in crunch time. victorino is a pillar to build around, not a chip to be traded.

it’s nice and all to be beating the dodgers and be scoring runs, but I’m not going to be dreaming of the postseason just yet. first, let’s get the monkey off our backs and finally win a series over the mets. then let’s extend a divisional lead to 4-5 games. THEN i’ll start thinking about the postseason. as for now, there’s still too many things that can go wrong to be talking trash and punching our playoff tickets.

29. Phil

August 25, 2008 at 11:33 am

I really hope we can win the next 3. That’ll really put us in good shape considering we’re going to Wrigley for 4.

30. Don M

August 25, 2008 at 11:36 am

Darling I don’t know why I go to EXTREMES… too high or too low.. there ain’t no in-betweens.

….. at least we’re all on a positive note now.. its nice to see

31. Fran

August 25, 2008 at 11:43 am

I never wanted shane to leave i still got his hawaiian figurine on my dashboard. No one on this team has more heart then him. This was the excat kind of win this team needed. Even Ruiz was rocking the rally cap

32. Geoff

August 25, 2008 at 11:44 am

He kind of did look lost earlier in the season. He wasnt getting on base at all. He looked like a trade chip in may/part of june. but charlie fixed him and since then hes been their most dangerous offensive player on the basepads. hes the hardest worker they have out there. you cant get rid of someone like that. he wasnt close to that earlier in the season but hes back to beyond what hes been at any point in his career in terms of being dangerous and dynamic.

33. Phil

August 25, 2008 at 11:53 am

I agree, he was horrible in April. Now he’s just the man and probably our best all around player this year. If he could develop a little more pop in his bat he could be an incredible 5 tools player. He is extraordinary at 3 of the 5(speed, defense, and arm) and pretty good at hitting for average. If he can get 20 homers slug for .500% and hit for .300 he could be in the top 5 best 5 tool players in the game.

34. NateB

August 25, 2008 at 12:02 pm

vote for pedro

35. Evan

August 25, 2008 at 12:25 pm

Victorino reminds me of how key Rowand was both offensively and defensively last year. He makes it click in important spots. Feliz did that last night too!

I think its obviously that the Phils can’t count on their stars to really make that clutch play the way they could last year. Howard and Utley are on as much as they are off and Rollins is just hard to watch. The pitching and the bottom of the order is gonna have to carry more weight down the stetch.

Also, how good was it to see Blanton keep it together in the first? He could’ve easily given up 2-3 runs but he kept it to 1 and really minimized the damage. He did a good job with Manny after the first inning when Manny was batting over .600 (ridiculous) against him.

I was pleased with this game, a little disappointed in Rollins and Howard hitting so poorly, but both really showed up defensively.

36. Richie

August 25, 2008 at 12:36 pm

Can anyone explain to me why in a 2-1 game, in the 8TH inning, charlie pulls burrell, knowing he has used all of his bullets, which leaves taguchi as our goddamn three hitter. It has to stop!! It has to stop!! It has to stop!! He is our most clutch hitter throughout the entire year, he is not that much slower or that much more of a liability in left field than taguchi is. Charlie really worries me with his decision making, it is common sense to bunt in that last inning, I know we won anyway and it will get brushed under the rug, and the pitcher’s spot was coming up, but he had Hamels pinch hitting anyway, I have confidence that he can get the ball out of the infield. Everyone will just let it go because we won anyway, but if Feliz does not get a clutch two out hit there, Charlie wastes a double by victorino to start an inning in extras at home. It is ridiculous that we cannot as a team play small ball, when we need to.

All in all I am thrilled with the character and recent play we have shown recently, it just aggravates me to see Charlie be Charlie. Especially when the game is on the line!!

37. Bruce

August 25, 2008 at 12:37 pm

Off topic: Team report on Phil’s top prospects in the Olympics…

“SS Jason Donald, one of the Phillies’ top prospects, belted a two-run homer Saturday to help lead Team USA to a bronze medal-clinching 8-4 victory over Japan in the Olympics in Beijing. But although the Phillies were pleased with the performances of Donald and C Lou Marson, assistant GM Mike Arbuckle said it’s uncertain if either will receive a September call-up to the majors. “I think it will come down to need,” Arbuckle said. “We don’t want a guy to come here, then sit on the bench for a month when playing time is more beneficial. But both guys are making significant progress and have put themselves in consideration to be here at some point.” Donald was Team USA’s leading hitter, batting .381 (8-for-21) with one homer and five RBIs in eight Olympic games. Marson batted .308 (4-for-13) for Team USA.”

38. Rick

August 25, 2008 at 12:39 pm

Don M. – Did you have a great time at Saturday’s game or what? We had a great time at an enjoyable relaxing game. We sat in row 1 of section 208. First time we ever sat in that section and we really liked those seats even better than our normal RF or LF 100 level seats.

It was good to see Cole get some early run support too.

I hope we are starting to see glimmers of the offense getting it back together (knock on wood). I still think Jimmy needs to be dropped to the 6th spot to take some pressure off and get his bat going.

Last night’s game was a momentum changer especially given the losses by the Mets the last 2 days and their potential loss of Maine for the remainder of the season.

39. Richie

August 25, 2008 at 12:46 pm

Maine is going to get shut down the rest of the year says reports, and Omar Minaya does another splendid job this year. Giving away all of his quality pitching prospects for Santana (although he is having a good year, he will hurt them at the end of the contract). Not getting another arm like Byrd or washburn at the deadline, or even addressing the fact that their bullpen is comparable to Batting Practice.

The New York MESS!!!!!

40. TJ

August 25, 2008 at 12:48 pm

I pity all of you who counted this team out about 5 days ago.

41. Richie

August 25, 2008 at 12:51 pm

Hey, Brian I know you addressed it already with posting the comment, but I think we could have had a co-Ashburn Award today for Victorino. Like a Feliz/Victorino. No biggie though. 4 clutch RBIs in about three innings warrants the award.

42. Don M

August 25, 2008 at 12:54 pm

Yea Saturday was great.. I was in 104, the sun wasn’t too bad… cold beer helps

43. Phil

August 25, 2008 at 12:56 pm

2 things Richie.

1. With the tying run on 1st and 2 outs is the only time I agree with pulling Burrell. He is the slowest guy on the team. Taguchi is actually kind of fast. They were probably hoping he could steal 2nd if they got the right pitch and then hope for a single by Howard.

2. They didn’t bunt because it woulda been a waste of an out. If Coste bunted and got Vic to 3rd they woulda walked Werth with a man on 1st and 3rd 1 out for the pitcher. Then you have to be nervous about a double play ball. It was a good strategy actually.

44. Don M

August 25, 2008 at 12:58 pm

the bad part is TJ.. that I said last week the team will win 8 or 9 of 10 at one point, and everyone will be all hyped again.. BUT.. they could just as easily lose 4-5 in a row, and have everyone ready to jump off the bridge (or the bandwagon) again… People just need to realize that they have a pretty good team. Not the best in the league, but when they are playing up to their potential, they can beat anybody in baseball..

Dodgers are SO stacked with talent, but can’t put it all together.. the Marlins are starting to fade.. the Mets have NO bullpen and need Wagner back if they want to win it.. the Cubs and Diamonbacks should scare everyone.. especially in a short-series… BUT… our rotation has been great over the past month or so

45. Geoff

August 25, 2008 at 1:00 pm

I thought they did a nice job exposing kershaw on saturday. he was rattled the whole time after pats 3 run HR in the first inning. they easily disposed of a good, but young and inexperienced starter. left-handers give them problems, but with burrell splitting up howard and utley that makes a HUGE difference. thats what charlie did down the stretch last year and it worked well so i think they need to stick with that down the stretch.

46. Don M

August 25, 2008 at 1:03 pm

baseball is a LOOONNNNNGGGGG season, so that is why I get so frustrated when everyone is ready to BLOW THE WHOLE TEAM UP if they lose a few games… but everyone is ready to BLOW THE WHOLE TEAM when they win..

They are going to finish the season with somewhere around 90-wins.. maybe 92, maybe 88… who knows… I really think that support at the ballpark is going to help them, give them a home field advantage when you go down to the park!!

47. Richie

August 25, 2008 at 1:04 pm

But Phil I understand it if there is a guy like werth or jenkins to then replace taguchi, but when you are out of bullets, and your goal is to tie the game, that means inorder to win that game you have So Taguchi between Howard and Utley.

48. Richie Allen

August 25, 2008 at 1:04 pm

Its starting to feel like the excitement at the end of last year…This is great I am psyched…I can tell from these posts that everybody is starting to feel it…
    TJ I feel the same way..I hate the naysayers.

49. Don M

August 25, 2008 at 1:07 pm

I was just glad they were able to get that 5-6 runs off of Kershaw, i’ll take our bullpen vs. just about any other team in a close game.. but its nice to see them take a game in the early innings, and get some rest for Hamels, after getting him that run support

50. Geoff

August 25, 2008 at 1:09 pm

the mets are about to be in trouble. they added ayala and al reyes, both of them trash, to an already bad bullpen. no wagner. maine, philile killer that he is, probably out of the year, and now their little 2.5 game cushion is gone just in time for a 2-game showdown that both teams desperately need to sweep.

TJ…this team is so bizaare that people get frustrated with them a lot. when they lose, they dont really give it a good effort but come up just short. when they lose, they look like the worst team ever in baseball at the plate and no one remembers how to hit. when theyre on their game theyre a good team but they havetn done it consistently enough to run away from anybody. theyre more frustrating then when they were bad actually.

when they were bad they had like no talent and you didnt expect anything out of them. but this team has a lot of talent and when that talent goes out there and stinks it up its really puzzling that all of those once-.300 hitters can go up there and swing at the first pitch and get themselves out against bad or mediocre ptiching.

they legitimately need to address that in the offseason. keep burrell, utley victorino and werth and perhaps move rollins for good prospects and howard but only for good pitching. the rest of them need to be retrained to become .300 contact hitters except burrell who makes up the power. maybe you can get another power hitting along the way somewhere, but a team that singles you to death is probably more dangerous then an all or nothing HR team.

51. Geoff

August 25, 2008 at 1:11 pm

obviously they wont all hit .300, but they need to become a contact hitting team. this ballpark has screwed up their heads a little bit.

52. Phil

August 25, 2008 at 1:19 pm

Yeah, well at that point you’re hoping for the tie and then a win before the 3 slot even gets back up. Regardless it was a desperate times call for desperate measures approach. You want that tie as much as possible.

53. Rick

August 25, 2008 at 1:27 pm

You know they kept talking about the ballpark last night during the game. It seems to me that ever since they moved back the wall, CBP does not have nearly as many HRs hit there as it once did. Is it just me or what? It seems like the park’s HR factor must have declined significantly.

54. Phil

August 25, 2008 at 1:40 pm

When did they move the wall back and by how much?

55. Rick

August 25, 2008 at 1:46 pm

I think it was after the 05 season. I think they eliminated 5 rows of seats in left field. I just checked the ballpark HR factor on ESPN.com and it seems that it is just this year that not nearly as many have been hit.

56. Adam C

August 25, 2008 at 1:46 pm

Was Ruiz wearing a rallycap? Or a hat that was supposed to look like one? I’ve never seen that.

57. Eb

August 25, 2008 at 1:52 pm

Adam that was a Rally Cap, I believe Romero had one also.

Anyone suprised by the closer pitching around Tracy, or was he just unable to locate his fastball?

58. Richie Allen

August 25, 2008 at 1:53 pm

Is Billy Wagner gone for the season or is there a chance for him to come back?

59. Geoff

August 25, 2008 at 1:58 pm

It looked like they had a bad scouting report on tracy. the report must have said he swing at high and away stuff. but broxton is wild so i think he missed the mark there. hes gotta learn control. its ok to throw ONLY 97 if you can locate it. overthrowing a ptich at 99-100 but making russell martin dive all over the place isnt really effective.

60. christopher

August 25, 2008 at 1:58 pm

so many good things to take away from last night:

joe blanton. no he hasn’t been spectacular, but the phillies are now what, 4-2 in games he started? i know he’s only 1-0, but the fact of the matter is (and i said exactly this after the trade, feel free to go back and look it up) having joe blanton over adam eaton in our starting rotation is going to lead to at least 5 more wins on the season for the team than we would have had otherwise. that is HUGE. that is the difference between making the playoffs and not. no, the trade wasn’t the ideal one for the phillies with the pitchers that were on the market. no, blanton is no great shakes, and he is not quite the innings eater he’s been advertised as. but he is a GOOD, solid major league starting pitcher. adam eaton is not. JA happ may eventually be one, but two decent starts don’t prove anything. blanton is here and now, with the experience and ability, and has been a good addition to the rotation.

chase utley. only one hit but it was a crucial one. he is continuing to slowly turn the corner. he is one big series away from exploding right back into the MVP hunt.

ryan howard’s glove. yes he had a bad night at the plate and on the bags. but those two foul balls were game changing, momentum shifting catches. can’t be overlooked.

shane victorino. what’s to say? i’ve loved this dude since the moment he put on a phillies uniform. never wanted to trade him, never understood geoff’s hard on for trash talking his “immaturity”. he’s still doing the same stuff he’s always done, the shaving cream pies, the constant talking up his teammates, the fun loving energy. only now it’s because “charlie pulled him aside and talked to him.” yeah okay. shane is so good all around and brings so much to the team. he is one of the best defensive players, if not THE best i’ve seen play for the phillies in my lifetime. his speed, his glove, and his arm combine for a spectacular outfielder. his bat is very good, and his speed and baserunning are outstanding. i hope he stays on the phillies for a long time to come.

the bullpen. yes they gave up a run, but in a game like that, one run through 5 innings is fine by me. durbin’s houdini act was not only game changing, but also potentially season changing for him mentally. brad lidge continues to blow my mind each and every time he steps on the mound. i’m so glad gillick signed him to an extension.

pedro feliz. duh. pedro has been exactly what the phillies have needed him to be this season, a spectacular defensive third baseman with a bat that brings some occasional pop that can pick up the entire back end of the lineup. his arm is still the most amazing thing to me, it’s an absolute cannon with hands as soft as a newborn baby.

TEAM ENERGY. it was there. you felt it, i felt it. this was one of those big games that had your heart in your throat but you couldn’t help but love every second. this is a team that came into this series looking for revenge, to take back the 4 games they lost in embarrassing fashion, and so far they’ve done just that. one more game to go guys!

61. Bruce

August 25, 2008 at 2:04 pm

Richie Allen~ Only Wagner knows if he can come back. He is on the 15 day DL with a strained left (throwing) forearm that has evolved into an elbow injury. The Mets are hoping that rest and rehab will help Wagner.

62. Geoff

August 25, 2008 at 2:09 pm

JA Happ seems like hell get traded somewhere in the offseason i think. they have mismanaged him and there probably wont be room for him next season. its looking more and more like myers will stay next season and the phillies will either bring in one top level guy or just go with what they have. a new addition would force kendrick out assuming moyer is coming back.

63. Richie

August 25, 2008 at 2:23 pm

For the first time all season I really felt that energy from this team, last night’s atmosphere reminded me a lot of last year. Let’s just hope it is a sign of things to come. Tonight is a big game, if Myers can stay on track, his confidence will be sky high. The dodgers are a deep well coached team, just to have a shot at a four game sweep of them is huge. Let’s go Phils!! I can smell October!!

64. Fred

August 25, 2008 at 2:30 pm

J-Ro was right. You guys are a bunch of frontrunners. It wasn’t but a week ago and everyone wanted to trade everyone on the team and bring up the kids. As soon as the Phils have another spell of bad play, you all will be jumping down their necks again.

As for beating the Dodgers, it’s not like they’re the second coming of the Big Red Machine. They have a worse record then us so we should beat them. Let’s not forget they just swept us.

A big bunch of frontrunners!

65. Gary B

August 25, 2008 at 2:34 pm

Did anybody notice the stat about Blanton and August being his best month statistically? Hopefully he carries that over to September. I admire him for not losing his cool in the first and holding it to one run, when he trusted his fastball it was effective. As Christopher said, I would take him over Adam Eaton anyday.

66. Geoff

August 25, 2008 at 2:35 pm

I hate jimmy rollins for saying that because now everyone says it and overanalyzes it. that has become SO annoying.

67. lilgartrn

August 25, 2008 at 2:38 pm

Actually fred, don’t recall many posts where we wanted to trade “everyone.” And I think venting frustrations on the blog, instead of booing players when we should cheer for them, is much more productive. Join the “Cheer Campaign” and let’s continue playing good ball… lol.

68. Fred

August 25, 2008 at 2:42 pm

What’s annoying is everyone changing their tune after a couple of Ws. If you think change is needed then stick to your guns. If this team is capable of winning the WS then stick to that. Don’t keep cycling based on Ws and Ls.

69. Mark

August 25, 2008 at 2:43 pm

In regards to Victorino, Yes he has stepped up quite a bit, however J. Roll is and will continue to be the catalist of this offence. Jimmy has slumpped quite a bit this year, especially recently. His poor judgement in words was also bad, but the fact of the matter is, this teams wins, when J. Roll is on. This team will not go far in the hunt for october, and sure wont make it down Broad Street without a productive J. Roll..

70. Mike N

August 25, 2008 at 2:59 pm

funny quote from John Donovan on Si.com: “Jimmy Rollins has four hits in his last 45 at-bats (.089). He wants people to cheer for that?”

71. Geoff

August 25, 2008 at 3:01 pm

I think change is needed. But that doesnt mean im not going to enjoy the ride. there isnt much they can do to change the roster at this point anyway. maybe a guy here or there. but this is what you got for the duration mostly. so im going to enjoy the ride and talk about postseason changes along the way.

72. Phil

August 25, 2008 at 3:02 pm

I agree with Geoff, there needs to be some change next season.

73. Don M

August 25, 2008 at 3:35 pm

SOME changes.. that is the key.. as I’ve been saying for a while now, this team is loaded with young talent.. let’s see what these guys can do. There was an article about Utley posted here earlier, basically him saying that he signed through his Free Agent years because he thinks there is a stong group of players here.. The key is that they play to their potential.. which is on them.. not the GM, the coaches, trainers, groundscrew or whoever else people want to blame.

If you look at their rotaion, bullpen, everyday players, and their bench… they are above average in each of those catergories..

There will surely be some changes next year, but saying Rollins traded and asking Jason Donald to step-in, and step-up, would not make this a stronger team…

74. Richie

August 25, 2008 at 3:50 pm

Rollins or Howard are not going anywhere. Forget about it, Rollins has the best fielding percetage of any SS in baseball this year, he is in the worst slump of his career, but he will break out of it very soon. Howard…I really don’t know what to say about him, but he will get less arbitration this year andget things straightened out or he will be making peanuts in a couple of years. Money talks with him, so we will see. I think Donald will be a utility infielder next year and then our third baseman of the future. We need to worry about signing Hamels this offseason and make it #1 Priority.

75. Don M

August 25, 2008 at 4:02 pm

I wonder what stats carry the most weight for arbitration, cause I think Ken Rosethal said he expects Howard’s arbitration number to jump to about $14 Million…

Today’s Daily News had a Conlin article.. “Phillies’ crack talent evaluators don’t think Jason Donald will be much more than a big-league utility player and Lou Marson needs more time learing to call games and handle pitchers.”

… to me that doesn’t sound like the replacements for Rollins and Ruiz next year

76. Geoff

August 25, 2008 at 4:05 pm

Howards NOT going to get less. hes going to bet more and more and more. hell get 12-14mm next year. 14-16mm the year after IF he has similar yers to this year. service time INCREASES the salary more than stats decrease it. generally speaking. if a guy tanks it then its differnet but if youre numbers are almost the same theyll still give you more money

77. Geoff

August 25, 2008 at 4:07 pm

donald shined in the olympics, so expect to see a new set of articles from the phillies explaining how donald is ready next year and stuff like that. bill conlin is a grumpy old man. he HATES the phillies and is unfairly negative towards tthem. hes another, more educated version of cataldi. everything he says is negative.

78. Geoff

August 25, 2008 at 4:12 pm

so did marson

79. Geoff

August 25, 2008 at 4:14 pm

i mean, seroiusly. either bring them up and trade rollins off or trade the prospects away for an elite pitcher or player at a position of need. im tired of this. either theyre good enough to be traded for good players OR theyre good enough to keep around until theyre ready.

80. KM

August 25, 2008 at 4:14 pm

Fred – I still want to bring up the young guys. I never wanted to trade the team, but I wouldn’t mind letting howard go for pitching in the offseason. I wouldn’t bring a young guy up and start him this year, but i want the young guys to get their feet wet, and see what it is like to be in the show – maybe somebody will surprise you – what do u have to lose, they can’t be worse than taguchi/jenkins. I’d take a golson/marson over jenkins/taguchi – They could not produce less than those 2 guys. But instead they Phillies will add a bat that means nothing, along the lines of a Pete Laforrest. At least with Golson you add some speed, and with Marson you get to see him up here where he can learn the intricacies of the pitcher/catcher relationship from guys like moyer, and the big league coaches.

This winning streak is an aberration. This team will be hot and cold, and may even make the playoffs by default, but if they have to face a team like the brewers in the first round they are done. They can’t hit good pitching, especially lefties (sabathia). It is fun to get excited, but I can’t honestly be too excited, knowing that this team has no chance to win.

81. Geoff

August 25, 2008 at 4:15 pm

and if theyre not good enough, move them while teams still THINK theyre good.

but USUALLY what happens is the phillies wait too long and mismanage them and they suck when they come up. OR the phillies wait too long and they bring them up when they are 25 and waste good years of their career.

82. Geoff

August 25, 2008 at 4:17 pm

obviously cahse utley isnt and shouldnt go anywhere. but we have a shortstop coming up…and a catcher….and an outfielder (even though golson should be traded while teams still have yet to realize he cant get on base)…

83. Phil

August 25, 2008 at 4:18 pm

Honestly, the Brewers pen is as bad as the Mets. We could maybe beat them if our pitching can keep us in a game.

84. Geoff

August 25, 2008 at 4:25 pm

wel they would lose game 1 because CC would CG shutout this offense. they might be able to hang around until sheets tires and jump on their bullpen in game 2. i expect them to defeat the 3rd starter on milwaukee no excuses! cc wins game 4. its all up to whether or not they can beat sheets in games 2 and 5….

i dunno about that man. i doubt theyll win that series with a sabathia – sheets combo. actually im pretty sure they have no chance at all if those two guys each go 7+ innings each start. remember, this team cant hit good pitching, PERIOD. the only way is if sabathia chokes and sheets chokes. were talking about serious hoping being done here…

85. Phil

August 25, 2008 at 4:27 pm

Sabathia is a choke artist in the post season…also if the Phillies offense is alive in October I think they can beat any pitcher and honestly I think Hamels and Myers on their A+ game can keep us in a game vs. Sabathia and Sheets.

86. Mike T.

August 25, 2008 at 5:06 pm

we should worry about winning the division first, because we’re headed to chicago where dempster, harden, zambrano and company are about to shut us down.

87. TJ

August 25, 2008 at 5:14 pm

So we or should I say they, because when I refer to we I mean to incorporate us fans, win three in a row and everyone goes from “man we have no shot at winning anything anymore” to “no one can really beat us if you break it down.” This is semi ridiculous. I come here for reaction to the games from other fans and after a loss its all the same, “we have no shot at anything until next year.”

Some of you I would call frontrunners, a couple of you I would say overreact to a loss AND a win.

I could of sworn I was trying to convince everyone the season wasnt over about 6 days ago by saying how we were ONLY 3.5 or how many ever it was back. You guys just set yourself up for dissapointment by overreacting and you guys get wayyyy too excited over a win, rightfully so over this one but even ones earlier in the year. Its a long season and let me say this once more, THE PHILLIES WILL MAKE THE PLAYOFFS, and once that 162nd game is over all of you naysayers can rag on me all you want if we dont make the playoffs.

And prime example is how you guys are already analyzing our first round matchup although we are a half game out and the Mets play a very weak Astros team tonight. I dont expect the Mets to lose 3 in a row to this team but who expected the Phils to win three in a row against the Dodgers. Of course the Astros winning 3 straight is more improbable than our 3 but it could still happen.

Also, I still doubt that Rollins is traded or whatever in the offseason. Especially if we make the playoffs.

Go Phillies.

88. TJ

August 25, 2008 at 5:24 pm

I’m glad that people are optimistic about this team right now, although I wish they took the bad with good more often.

89. christopher

August 25, 2008 at 6:19 pm

there are plenty of fans who tell people to calm down when they take “the sky is falling” attitude. it’s just that people reply more to negative posts than they do to positive ones, so it generates more conversation, and looks like it’s the dominant mindset even though it’s just a few people going back and forth. the people who blame the fans of front running need to get a grip on reality just as much as the super reactionary fans, and realize that plenty of phillies fans are realistic and keep a positive attitude towards a team that’s been in 1st place much of the season and is currently 11 games over .500.

90. Mike T.

August 25, 2008 at 6:44 pm

this team is not a good baseball team. if they make the playoffs, it will be because of their play, it will be because of someone elses.

91. Mike T.

August 25, 2008 at 6:45 pm

the sky fell. it’s here, it’s heavy. the phillies didn’t do what it takes to acquire the necessary pieces to the puzzle, so they will not make a dent in the 2008 playoffs.

92. Jamie

August 25, 2008 at 6:59 pm

Just to alleviate some apparent confusion on the part of some Phils fans…we own the rights to Victorino, Werth, Hamels, and several of the other younger players (to include Howard) for several more years – they won’t be going anywhere unless we trade them. All are still either tender or arbitration eligible, which means we don’t have to lock them up in long term contracts yet – we can wait a few years to do that and save more $$ for free agents.

93. christopher

August 25, 2008 at 7:56 pm

mike t i agree 100%, when the phillies make the playoffs it will be because of their play. glad to see you’re on board with the team this season.

94. Don M

August 26, 2008 at 10:40 am

Geoff, I just read your post from up this board…. Marson and Donald..

I think the overall point is that they think these guys are good enough to keep, because they feel they will contribute in the coming years. But maybe they aren’t ready to step in next year and be All-Stars like everybody wants them to be.

That is what happens with prospects, which is why you can’t just trade them on a whim, because once you do, you can’t get them back.. they may or may not help the Phillies in the future, but considering Ruiz is hitting .283 in the 2nd-half, and Rollins is still gret with the glove.. we don’t need those guys yet.

I’d like to see them get called-up in Sept.. but im not counting on them for next year at all